Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
English actor - Voelund
Heard Dons mix and got inspired by his kick sound and ended up with somthin quite diffrent than my original thought :-)
I added a snare from Lagerfeldts HITKIT, but used the kick as it were, I moved a couple o things around and made couple o notches to the pad sounds to make them suit my ears.
Did a little automation but with the eq notches things klicked as it were and not a lot were necessary.
Drove the vocoder through the SSL talkback comp and an 1176 and that made it for me.
I dont own a decent pitch correction but used what I have. I think tranposing the song to G would have made the trick, the singers voice are really tired from tryin to go beyin his limits, if it were only for that day, I wouldnt know. Unfortunately a lot o songs are thrown at singers makin them try to reach higher nores than they are comfortable with ...
I wonder- did i focus too much on the instruments and leave the bass and drums alone - are they loud enough ? I like the mix I think, but I cant listen at high volume right now as evrybodys sleepin, but I look forward to hear it tomorrow and eventually read a couple o good suggestions :-)

.mp3    English actor 01 lim a.mp3 --  (Download: 4.66 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Just read this from Owsinskys blog, and that could maybe do the trick on the chorus vocals:

I like a vocal mostly dry, but then it usually doesn’t sound big enough. You want the vocalist to sound like they’re really powerful and dynamic and just giving it everything, so I’ll put an 1/8th note delay on the vocal but subtract a 1/16th, a 32nd or 64th note value from that 1/8th note. What it does is give a movement to the delay and makes the singer have an urgency that’s kind of neat. I put the 1/8th minus 1/64th on the left side, and put the straight 1/8th note on the right side. You can experiment with pushing the pitch up a little bit on one side and down on another too if your singer’s a little pitchy, since that usually makes them sound a bit more in tune. Sometimes putting the 1/8th note triplet on one side and the straight 1/8th note on the other, if you’ve got any kind of swing elements of the track, will make the vocal big, yet it doesn’t make the singer sound like he’s taking a step back. Dave Pensado

Edit: workin on it and - it works ! cool trick for a man like me without melodyne and the like

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
good job prety nice sounding mix Wink !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(27-08-2013, 12:22 PM)thedon Wrote: good job prety nice sounding mix Wink !

Cheers Don - take it you find the balance Drumnbass/rest ok ?
So I added a marimba part, very discrete, to emphasis 1 + 2and selected places.
Also rode the chorus vocal as it needed help in places ...

Thought Id post a detailed info on what I did:

Kick: +3dB 80 Hz q: 2.6 380Hz dip 3 dB Q0.71
Toms +3dB 100 Hz dip 1.5 dB 390 Hz q2.6

Bussed through fairchild and saturation. snare bus with UA 1176 1:4. Kick and a little snare ran through a 1:20 1176 takin 5-7 dB out and added to taste to drum bus.
Bas: dip 80Hz 3 dB q_ 5,6 low shelf dip 2.5 dB 80Hz 1176 1:20 tamin transients.
Sendin to bus with bas amp, blende under bus with saturation and UAD fairchild, takin 1 dB or so
Synth pad 1 (rythmic one) Locut 75hz dip 5.5 dB 166 Hz q 9.6 +2.5 dB 415 Hz q 3.6 dip -3 dB 2500 Hz q 4.3 hi cut 14.600 Hz
Pad 2 /The actual pad :-)) locut 100 Hz +3dB 166Hz q 2.1 dip 2.5 dB 440 hz q0.71 + 4.5 db 2500 Hz q 1.5
Synth fuzz ( pad 2 i think) what actually differs my vision from others ive heard, for me a depeche mode kinda sound, I tried to emphasize this way:
lo cut 415 hz dip - 3.5 db 200Hz q 0.98 +3 dB 6000 Hz 1 1.1 hi shelf 10.000 hz + 1.5 dB hi cut 13400 Hz
Synth Fx (vocoder) locut 18 dB 170 Hz dip - 2.5 dB 250 Hz dip 3 dB 680Hz q 7.8 +3.5 dB 4600 Hz q 0.71 locut 14800 Hz 18 dB, SL LMC-1 and UA 1176

guitars: locut and on buscompression with 4dB boost 1200 Hz and 2.7 dB boost 315 Hz
Lead gutar ran through LA 2 A and had locut deeper, to make it more present

Vocal verse: spitfish deesser
eq: lo cut 184 Hz lo shelf -1dB 300 Hz - 0.5 dB 200Hz q: 1.2- 4.5 dB 500 Hz q 0.75 + 3dB 3000 Hz q 0.71
UA LA 2a set to limit, UA 1176 b 1:4 Pultec eq male voice trimmed preset delay 176 ms locut 320 hicut 5300

Chorus: I chose the one I liked the best as main and ran the other through Yamaha pithfix, logic eq to thin it, then comp and Vacumsound ADT
The version I chose for lead hadyamaha pitchfix and same treatment as lead vocal, and a trick from Dave Pensado added:
R delay 1/8: 240 ms and slightly pitched up, L delay 1/8 minus 1/64 210ms and slightly pitched down.

guitars and other parts not mentioned were lowcut with 6 dB filters.

Marinmba part automated volume and hicut to take focus from it, only wanted to emphasize a couple o places.
I made an extra guitar track and double tracked the chorus vocal where he sings: English actor, sounded more like the double tracked chorus vocals.

now is the question do I have too much drum :-)

By the way, a snare hit got lost durin mixin, its there but didnt make it to the 2 track file for some reason. If you cant hear it Im glad, if it sticks out (or actually the opoosite) let me know !

.mp3    English actor 02a.mp3 --  (Download: 4.71 MB)

Sounds good , I think the drums are fine and everything sounds nice and glued together, the detailed info is great and very helpful !
The synth at 1.57 could come down just a touch .

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

The drums could maybe even be a tiny bit louder. I did load this track into my daw and I think youve done a good job considering the audiofiles that we get. I think that the SynthPad1 is a pretty awful sound. I have a hard time imagining myself making it sound good. The Chorus is decent however. The song does have some resemblence with Coldplay music.

I would change the kick because it sounds so weak. Anyways maybe i can share more thoughts if i finish my own mix of it.
Thank you for your comment and suggestions. As said I were tempted yo build the drum track from scratch, but when I listened one more time I kinda lined the diffrence between the 2 sets. Good luck if you give it a go !
Nice mix,it would have been worth tuning them iffy vox as Mike did
Thank you Takka. If you want to know why its all written about. Agree melodyne or the like would be bestest choice, if you have it in your rig. I dont.