Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viviendo Del Reves || MIX & MST by BKM
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted a mix. Tackled this one simply because it was in the "newly added" section at the time. Not usually my cup of tea, but I'm trying to branch out of my usual metal ways a bit more.

I challenged myself to use Cubase 7 stock plugins as much as possible. Managed to almost pull through with two notable exceptions, one being a volume leveling tool both on vox and bass and the other, well, my entire mastering chain (wasn't in the mood for experiments with that).

Couple of notes:
  • Really disliked the bass - way too much subs and no finger attack. Ended up using the DI.
  • Was also only lukewarm on the synths. Unlike some other posters I kept them all in but pushed them pretty far back and used them mainly for atmosphere.
  • Drums were pretty easy to work with. Snare needed some work but the base character was great and I'm really happy with how it ended up.
  • Also liked the outro guitars although they needed severe downsizing to not eat into all the other mix elements.
  • Anyone else had problems with renitent sibilance? Ended up dialing back compression because of it and had a volume leveling tool do some of the heavy lifting but even then, it took me two instances of deessing and some more EQ to make it sound not obnoxious.

Note on mastering: went for -9 to -8 LUFS with .7 dB overhead for safety. This is more or less in line with the "Mastered for iTunes 5.0" recommendations. Wasn't really sure how far I should push this one ... it felt kinda pop-y to me personally but not sure if that's what the artists thought or if it was supposed to be a bit more raw/underground with the whole "session" thing going on. So I went for something in the middle. I usually aim for -12 LUFS on very dynamic material while some in-you-face metal track or an EDM project might end up at -7 to -6.

So, what do you think? Sounding reasonable? Anything jumping out as particularly unpleasant?

.mp3    ViviendoDelReves-v02.mp3 --  (Download: 7.02 MB)

Amateur audio enthusiast.
Twitter: @bjoernkmusic