Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Travelling Band: 'Quicksand'
I really like this band. Kind of old school Bad co., Kinks vibe. All I could think of was Bad Co. Baby Blue. while mixing, so I referenced it for a few things, the drums and lead part.

So I shot for an Old school mix.

Would love some comments

Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    The Travelling Band-Quicksand-01.mp3 --  (Download: 5.87 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Cool Mix K.

There are so many ways to take this one on. I tried going for the modern Jacquire King sound that I like. Old school is way cool though, love the vibe.
I've just listen to "The Little Green Bag" by the George Baker Selection. It's still an amazing sounding mix almost 50 years on. Complete with crazy panning moves that I just love.

Great work!Big Grin
(09-07-2018, 12:15 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Cool Mix K.

There are so many ways to take this one on. I tried going for the modern Jacquire King sound that I like. Old school is way cool though, love the vibe.
I've just listen to "The Little Green Bag" by the George Baker Selection. It's still an amazing sounding mix almost 50 years on. Complete with crazy panning moves that I just love.

Great work!Big Grin
Hey Dave
I didn't see your mix of this, Ill have to search it out, but thanks for the comments, yeah I love the old school style stacking bass on one side and guitars on the other. The little green bag is one of my favorite examples of old school panning and probably one of the coolest bass tracks. One of the woodfire mix's I stacked the drums on one side and bass on the other and did some crazy stuff..lol Fun stuff

Thanks for checking it out!!

Cheers
KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(08-07-2018, 07:55 PM)KMuzic Wrote: I really like this band. Kind of old school Bad co., Kinks vibe. All I could think of was Bad Co. Baby Blue. while mixing, so I referenced it for a few things, the drums and lead part.

Would love some comments

Cheers
KSmile

I enjoyed the creativity on the vocal K. Pretty cool!
We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
(16-09-2018, 05:22 AM)Faders_up Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 07:55 PM)KMuzic Wrote: I really like this band. Kind of old school Bad co., Kinks vibe. All I could think of was Bad Co. Baby Blue. while mixing, so I referenced it for a few things, the drums and lead part.

Would love some comments

Cheers
KSmile

I enjoyed the creativity on the vocal K. Pretty cool!

Thanks for the comments Faders_up, very much appreciated.

Cheers
KSmile
Ah, it does have some Kinks vibe, certainly. I can imagine the ties eyerolling as the new kid keeps overdriving the console!

Again, the vocal trickery is very cool, it provides some "studio magic" without feeling like the mixer is trying to steal the show. The fuzzy right panned ADT for guitar 1 (seems to have lots of ducking comp, or maybe it's just automation) is my kind of stuff, lovely.

Guitar 2 sounds a little out of place thru verse 2 and the coda, when it has not tamb nor solo guitar to help rebalance it. It seems to be the hardest part to get right with this tune.