Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#10 'I Fought The Rough And The Rough Won...' DNS Deliza Mix
I seldom listen to the Rough mix before I’m more than halfway there. I did with this one and it was like:
“You kiddin’ me, that is so not a rough! I have no idea how to replicate that bass sound so what’s the point?”

But it’s such a cool bassline, so I manned up and messed up a little with the arrangement while trying a couple of underused plugins. I cannot remember what I did wrong to get it so dirty at the end, when the piano enters, though. Maybe it is because the loop ends and then master compression gets crazy?

San Fermines this Friday, have Fiesta everyone but be nice and have respect!

.mp3    10 - Carol Dant - Do No Stand (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 7.23 MB)

Sorry for the late reciprocation, I’ve not been around.

Love the edits here, especially the abrupt timbral switches. I also like the very smooth vocal and it’s contrast with the other elements. The spatial representation and tones in your record work well and give a nice coherent illusion though personally I’d dial less depth and bring things forward more generally. Are you using headphones, by any chance? The snare mod fits nicely here; I should have worked the drums, perhaps next time!

I’m not so sure about the bass guitar though. For me it’s a little too fat and tubby in the lows. Because there’s an abundance of sustain in the 50Hz region, it wants to hum and drone and ends up congesting the woofer, choking the mix and bringing some fatigue with it. So I opted for less lows in this region, and relied on harmonics to give the illusion of bass (that psychoacoustic stuff) while also fabricating some attack and decay with a dose of shenanigans. At least that was the plan. I then kept the low end for the kick, thus avoiding congestion. Because the original bass track was short on harmonics, I dropped a low cut amp sim underneath as a supplement (but not a bass sim!).

Ah, ReplayGain metadata!! Smart. Enjoyed the listen, thanks.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Very perceptive, I hardly can listen to music actually moving air so bass translation is my main weakness. And good note about spatial representation, I'll take note on that.

..."a dose of shenanigans" is an elegant way not to spoil the recipe, but I can see you put some real thought on your bass treatment, which was really cool. Thanks for the help!