Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf: 'Come Around'
One of my first mixes. I've decided to bring an airy finish, and to give drum loop a natural sound, due to the fact that the programmer has chosen a "real sounding" drum pattern.

.mp3    ComeAround.mp3 --  (Download: 9.64 MB)

Hi,

It's a first mix which sound good.
Bass is really difficult to control, low end is awfull, and in your mix bass low-end is out of control, you can try to use a multi band compressor, or split bass in 2 ou 3 tracks (1 track for low, 1 for mid and 1 for high).
I thing you should automate more the vocals, too low in the beginning and quite well at the end.

Ben
Lots of effects going on here, which gives your version an intriguing vibe -- more laidback and trippy. I love the way a mix can reinterpret a single multitrack so completely. That's the power of the mix engineer! Hoohahaha... Big Grin Balance is generally pretty good too, with instruments and vocals all taking well-considered positions in the blend most of the time, which is great. However, the balance sounds too static, and it doesn't feel to me like you're making enough of an effort to actively draw the listener's attention to what you feel is most interesting at any given point.

A by-product of this is that the long-term dynamics don't really function that well either, I feel -- the arrival of the choruses doesn't yet make me want to jump up and punch the air! Smile Effects levels are responsible for this too, so be ready to tweak those in real time as well. I like a lot of your instincts in terms of the tone of the individual sounds and effects, though, so you're working from a position of strength.

Hope that all makes sense and is some help!