Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
ArmedNDaverous Mix Swinging Steaks Lost My Way

Hello,

I always like to mix whatever song's are from Mike's podcast so I can see how it matches up to Mike's recommendations. I thought this was a good track with some challenges. I went for a straight ahead no frills mix. Not much FX. I did some timing adjustments on BGV. I thought the song structure could use some work but I was too busy just mixing, didn't want to put on the producer's hat too. Went for a wider stereo spread even though the instrumentation isn't always balanced from L to R. Curious to hear what others think. Any critiques or suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

.mp3    LostMyWay1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.35 MB)

Great mix ArmedND, nothing more or less! If I could find something to complaint it surely would be a matter of taste and nitpicking is not my style really.
So nothing more to say except Keep up the good work!
I like this. I agree nothing to say (sonically).
As a matter of taste, considering that 99% of music is consumed on headset, the hard pan of instruments in the stereo image doesn't meet my favour. But as said, it is a matter of taste.
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Hi A'n'D, nice mix! Sounds very full and tight with nice balance and ambience choices.

About the only thing I would suggest changing is that acoustic guitar in the right channel. With the way it is EQed, the pick attack is quite strident. This isn't necessarily a problem per se, but there are a few uneven moments in the playing where it just jumps out a bit too much. Perhaps a transient plugin migh help taming that, or even a de-esser just to even out that pick attack and maybe bring up more of the actual notes rather than just string attack.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(03-10-2018, 11:30 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hi A'n'D, nice mix! Sounds very full and tight with nice balance and ambience choices.

About the only thing I would suggest changing is that acoustic guitar in the right channel. With the way it is EQed, the pick attack is quite strident. This isn't necessarily a problem per se, but there are a few uneven moments in the playing where it just jumps out a bit too much. Perhaps a transient plugin migh help taming that, or even a de-esser just to even out that pick attack and maybe bring up more of the actual notes rather than just string attack.

Nice work!

Hey fHingaz,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I can totally hear what you're saying now. I also agree with the other critique above that the stereo spread is pretty drastic which seems to just make that acoustic on the far right poke out even more. Have any tunes in particular you'd like me to take a listen to so I can pay it forward?

Dave

(02-10-2018, 11:40 PM)Lammy Wrote: I like this. I agree nothing to say (sonically).
As a matter of taste, considering that 99% of music is consumed on headset, the hard pan of instruments in the stereo image doesn't meet my favour. But as said, it is a matter of taste.
cheers

Hey Lammy,

Agreed. After coming back to this mix after a few months the stereo spread does seem a bit distracting in headphones. I also get a feeling I may have made the vocals a bit too loud. Thanks for the feedback, let me know if you've got anything you'd like me to check out.

Dave
Agree with the already said guitar and vocal issues. Kickdrum might use some riding here and there, hitom bites a little too much and there are moments when the middle of the stereo gets empty if there's not singing or piano. But the mix feels wide in a good way, reminds me of Big Star and Teenage Fanclub. It's a lovely song and your mix suits the feeling nicely, so anything else is a matter of nitpicking and slight corrections. If I were in the band, I'd have suggestions but still would be very impressed and happy with this mix.
(06-12-2018, 01:05 PM)Deliza Wrote: Agree with the already said guitar and vocal issues. Kickdrum might use some riding here and there, hitom bites a little too much and there are moments when the middle of the stereo gets empty if there's not singing or piano. But the mix feels wide in a good way, reminds me of Big Star and Teenage Fanclub. It's a lovely song and your mix suits the feeling nicely, so anything else is a matter of nitpicking and slight corrections. If I were in the band, I'd have suggestions but still would be very impressed and happy with this mix.

Thank you for the kind words and helpful tips!