Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If_you_say_M.A._mix
I tried to keep it as natural as possible.

M.A.

.mp3    If sou say M.A.mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.15 MB)

Sound good, nice balance and separation between instruments. I like it.

One small personal preference: with some instruments there could be just a little bit more space. For example that horn sounds that it's little bit behind, but at the same time it's very dry. And I don't mean audible space, reverb or echo, just some small element that enhances the distance of instrument.

And also with vocals there could be short almost inaudible plate-kind of reverb that could tie the words and syllables together. Now it's almost too intimate. As listener I prefer to be clearly in the audience, I begin to feel little uncomfortable.
Thanks for the feedback Olli. I am glad that the balance is fine. I have tried to mix it with no reverb at all. However i wouldnt lie. there is still some reverb there ,almost inaudible Smile. Also there have ,already been spacey mixes for the track so i thought , may be ill try the dry approach for a different perspective. Is it that intimate that you start feeling uncomfortable, then i have accomplished what i intended to :-). just out of interest which monitors are you using.

(20-08-2013, 11:25 AM)Olli H Wrote: Sound good, nice balance and separation between instruments. I like it.

One small personal preference: with some instruments there could be just a little bit more space. For example that horn sounds that it's little bit behind, but at the same time it's very dry. And I don't mean audible space, reverb or echo, just some small element that enhances the distance of instrument.

And also with vocals there could be short almost inaudible plate-kind of reverb that could tie the words and syllables together. Now it's almost too intimate. As listener I prefer to be clearly in the audience, I begin to feel little uncomfortable.

(20-08-2013, 01:10 PM)MixersAnon Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Olli. I am glad that the balance is fine. I have tried to mix it with no reverb at all. However i wouldnt lie. there is still some reverb there ,almost inaudible Smile.
Daniel Lanois don't use reverbs at all, only delays. So you're in a good company. Smile

(20-08-2013, 01:10 PM)MixersAnon Wrote: just out of interest which monitors are you using.
Genelec 1030A, no sub, DIY treated and measured room (+-4 dB)
Sennheiser HD 600 headphones

How about you?

I mix on focal cms 65s with matched sub. DIY treated room. sennheiser hd 650. +/- 4db is great.

(20-08-2013, 01:55 PM)Olli H Wrote:
(20-08-2013, 01:10 PM)MixersAnon Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Olli. I am glad that the balance is fine. I have tried to mix it with no reverb at all. However i wouldnt lie. there is still some reverb there ,almost inaudible Smile.
Daniel Lanois don't use reverbs at all, only delays. So you're in a good company. Smile

(20-08-2013, 01:10 PM)MixersAnon Wrote: just out of interest which monitors are you using.
Genelec 1030A, no sub, DIY treated and measured room (+-4 dB)
Sennheiser HD 600 headphones

How about you?

(20-08-2013, 03:49 PM)MixersAnon Wrote: I mix on focal cms 65s with matched sub. DIY treated room. sennheiser hd 650. +/- 4db is great.

Very nice set for listening.
Very nice. My only suggestion would be to reduce the level of the toms.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Bmullen thanks for the feedback. you are right about the toms. they need to be quieter.

(20-08-2013, 08:56 PM)bmullen Wrote: Very nice. My only suggestion would be to reduce the level of the toms.