Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jones: 'Don't Put Me On Hold'
My mix

Comments welcome

Tried a couple of different approaches

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Remember Jones-Dont put me on hold1new.mp3 --  (Download: 7.53 MB)

.mp3    Remember Jones-Dont put me on hold1newa.mp3 --  (Download: 7.53 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Sounding great through my headphones K. What's the main difference between the two mixes? I struggled to hear any real contrasting differences, although I think I favour the second one, I'm just not completely sure why.
Nice balance and vibe, I also like the wide panned sound stage. I think the vocal could do with some extra "air" and presence though, just to bring it tonally in line with the rest of the performance. There are parts of the vox which may need some automation or more aggressive compressor settings where the singer is moving away from the mic and then back again. With a song like this I think you could get away with squashing the vox a little more to control these inconsistencies without it being too much of an issue. Anyways, solid work as usual.

Great work so far K! Big Grin
(04-06-2018, 01:40 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounding great through my headphones K. What's the main difference between the two mixes? I struggled to hear any real contrasting differences, although I think I favour the second one, I'm just not completely sure why.
Nice balance and vibe, I also like the wide panned sound stage. I think the vocal could do with some extra "air" and presence though, just to bring it tonally in line with the rest of the performance. There are parts of the vox which may need some automation or more aggressive compressor settings where the singer is moving away from the mic and then back again. With a song like this I think you could get away with squashing the vox a little more to control these inconsistencies without it being too much of an issue. Anyways, solid work as usual.

Great work so far K! Big Grin

Hi Dave

The second mix I saturated the vocals a little more and brought overall levels down a bit, I tried getting away without automating the main vocal. I like the Idea of compressing it some more. The vocal was driving me nuts. Ill try squashing it more first.

Thanks for having a listen

Cheers
KirkSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
The second mix is clearly better to me. Once thing apart from, like Dave said, hyping up the vocal (and maybe snare too; you could even try an exciter over the mid information or routing those parts over a bus with some harsh overdrive just to see what happens), I've noticed that the "highest" high end seems to come from the reverb tail (I guess that's the trumpet send). It actually sounds brighter than the very trumpet and it's probably too long a tail for a high pace song. I don't know if you can make some sense of this shitty English I'm having today.
(04-06-2018, 06:42 PM)Deliza Wrote: The second mix is clearly better to me. Once thing apart from, like Dave said, hyping up the vocal (and maybe snare too; you could even try an exciter over the mid information or routing those parts over a bus with some harsh overdrive just to see what happens), I've noticed that the "highest" high end seems to come from the reverb tail (I guess that's the trumpet send). It actually sounds brighter than the very trumpet and it's probably too long a tail for a high pace song. I don't know if you can make some sense of this shitty English I'm having today.

Hi Deliza

Makes perfect sense,,Great Ideas, and I will try that and see how it sounds, good ears on the horns, I tried to rebalance them on the second version and also used a reverb and didn't adjust the tail..good call.
Thanks Deliza, that really helped.

Cheers
KSmile

How long did it take to mix? I ask because it seems to have a lot of tracks. I hear Hammond organ, possibly a strat or some kind of 16th framing, maybe a Les Paul in there with some crunch, a horn section, bass, drums, vocals and backup vocals, and I'm probably forgetting something. This one seems like a real challenge. You pull it off.

Would it be valid to say to bring out each of those voices playing between vocal lines? Perhaps an EQ boost in the upper harmonics when they come between lines. It seems to me that when the instruments play between the vocal lines, the song might benefit to really draw the ear to them somehow. Your balance in the mix is so balanced that I hear the instruments in between, but they don't seem to take over. Maybe those instruments shouldn't. Don't know.

Awesome work. I love soul music. Rock on...
Gamma
(04-06-2018, 08:46 PM)gammasign Wrote: How long did it take to mix? I ask because it seems to have a lot of tracks. I hear Hammond organ, possibly a strat or some kind of 16th framing, maybe a Les Paul in there with some crunch, a horn section, bass, drums, vocals and backup vocals, and I'm probably forgetting something. This one seems like a real challenge. You pull it off.

Would it be valid to say to bring out each of those voices playing between vocal lines? Perhaps an EQ boost in the upper harmonics when they come between lines. It seems to me that when the instruments play between the vocal lines, the song might benefit to really draw the ear to them somehow. Your balance in the mix is so balanced that I hear the instruments in between, but they don't seem to take over. Maybe those instruments shouldn't. Don't know.

Awesome work. I love soul music. Rock on...
Gamma

Hi Gamma

Thanks for the comments

Its 23 tracks and I cant remember how long it took me, maybe an afternoon. I mixed it 3 months ago and forgot to post it. Your close to correct on your instrument identification. B3, Congas-shaker, Fender Strat, Gibson ES 330 or 335, 5 string bass (couldn't Identify brand but a couple of EMG's), Electric Piano, Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, lead vocal and 2 backup singers and a kick butt drummer. I used the telefunkin final mixdown as my reference, you can see it performed on YouTube at the telefunkin sessions videos.

Give it a shot Gamma, a really fun mix and learning experience.

Cheers
KSmile

Wow, I knew there was a lot of instruments and vocals.

I'm going to check out Telefunkin.

I must admit. I don't know if I'm ready for a lot of instrumentation. Maybe after a couple easier tracks, I'll build confidence and then I'll be ready to tackle this tune. I learned a lot mixing Devil's Words, but I could really use some help on that one, too.

Thanks KMuzic,
Gamma

(04-06-2018, 11:43 PM)gammasign Wrote: Wow, I knew there was a lot of instruments and vocals.

I'm going to check out Telefunkin.

I must admit. I don't know if I'm ready for a lot of instrumentation. Maybe after a couple easier tracks, I'll build confidence and then I'll be ready to tackle this tune. I learned a lot mixing Devil's Words, but I could really use some help on that one, too.

Thanks KMuzic,
Gamma
Hi Gamma

Believe it or not, I think Devils Words is a tougher mix, I know it was for me...I mixed it a while back and never posted it..wasn't happy with the way it came out. Maybe Ill find it and try to clean it up and post it and take a listen to yours..... When your ready give this one a shot.

Cheers
KirkSmile
[/quote]
Hi Gamma

Believe it or not, I think Devils Words is a tougher mix, I know it was for me...I mixed it a while back and never posted it..wasn't happy with the way it came out. Maybe Ill find it and try to clean it up and post it and take a listen to yours..... When your ready give this one a shot.

Cheers
KirkSmile
[/quote]

I think with Don't Put Me On Hold I had to do a LOT of prep work to get a good bit of the bleed out. Also the levels are all over the place. I tried to level set each clip before I applied any compression. Even them I had some troubles. And that's on my like 15th mix of the song.

Devils Word just seemed to flow for me.

Kyle Jedrusiak