Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Elliott "Aeternum Vale"
This tune was a challenge, with a lot going on simultaneously; just balancing the various drum and percussion tracks took some time and effort. I hope I did it justice.

.mp3    ScottElliott_AeternumVale_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.15 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I just commented on 'the other new one' , nice to hear some fresh takes on it, these 2 will both be going into my Audacity project so i can flip between all the different mixes, your drums stand out well for me, obviously time went into this EPIC track, nice one.
cheers
andy k
(05-06-2018, 08:23 PM)andy k Wrote: I just commented on 'the other new one' , nice to hear some fresh takes on it, these 2 will both be going into my Audacity project so i can flip between all the different mixes, your drums stand out well for me, obviously time went into this EPIC track, nice one.
cheers
andy k

Thanks Andy, and welcome to the board. On which platform are you using Audacity? I have it on my Linux workstation. It's pretty cool, but I've been using Logic since 2007 and I'm more comfortable with it.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(06-06-2018, 12:41 AM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 08:23 PM)andy k Wrote: I just commented on 'the other new one' , nice to hear some fresh takes on it, these 2 will both be going into my Audacity project so i can flip between all the different mixes, your drums stand out well for me, obviously time went into this EPIC track, nice one.
cheers
andy k

Thanks Andy, and welcome to the board. On which platform are you using Audacity? I have it on my Linux workstation. It's pretty cool, but I've been using Logic since 2007 and I'm more comfortable with it.

no probs, its good fun,
just to clarify, I did my mix in protools, and i put eveybodys mixes in Audacity, lined up so I can flip between them-lots of different things to focus on and lots of angles.
I've started using Reaper, and I like its versatility compare to Logic and protools, so I'm going to have a fresh go at Aeternium Vale.
Its been a year since the last mix and it will be interesting to see how it turns out for me.
cheers
andy k
Hearing my first mix on various systems I believe there was far too much upper-mids, so I tamed them across many tracks. During the second mix, once again I found most of the drums & percussion barely getting 1dB of gain reduction, except the timpani, which was getting almost 7dB GR. That's been corrected and brought to -3dB GR during the loudest passage at the start of the song, so the timpani can be heard now. Various other EQ tweaks were made that reduced the phase issues. I recall having a rough time with this mix the first time around, but this time it was much easier. The mastering was updated also, using the SSL Center Console plug-in at 2dB and keeping 3dB or less gain reduction, except during the SFX and drum "explosions" where it bounced up to -4dB. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    ScottElliott_AeternumVale_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.06 MB)

Peace,
Dave