Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo
Hi Guys

This is my first mix for CMT, started hobby mixing about 6 months ago on a project for my band and kind of got a little hooked

Any feedback muchly appreciated

ta

.mp3    Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo.mp3 --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

.mp3    Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.48 MB)

.mp3    Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo v3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

Hey Thebouff!
This is really, really good for only mixing 6 months. Wow great job dude!
I'm not listening through the best of headphones, but to me it sounds like the kick is taking too much room in the mix. Every time it hits, it gets a little muddy, and i get the feeling that other instruments are ducking for it. Cut some low mids and try boosting some higher frequencies of it to compensate. 2,5-5k. But don't make it loose all of its body.
Would also probably cut some low frequencies from the bass.
Other than that, I don't really have anything. Maybe ease a little on the overall compression but i guess that's just my taste.
Great job, keep it up!
(02-06-2018, 03:18 PM)Bangbang Wrote: Hey Thebouff!
I'm not listening through the best of headphones, but to me it sounds like the kick is taking too much room in the mix. Every time it hits, it gets a little muddy, and i get the feeling that other instruments are ducking for it. Cut some low mids and try boosting some higher frequencies of it to compensate. 2,5-5k. But don't make it loose all of its body.
Other than that, I don't really have anything. Maybe ease a little on the overall compression but i guess that's just my taste.
Great job, keep it up!

Thanks for the great feedback, i will make some tweaks a little later

(02-06-2018, 04:51 PM)TheBouff Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 03:18 PM)Bangbang Wrote: Hey Thebouff!
Great job, keep it up!

Thanks for the great feedback, i will make some tweaks a little later
Thanks again, I found your feedback really helpful

I have rolled off the low end on the bass track a little below 50hz

Played with the kick compression to shorten the sustain and put less of the kick through to the drum verb aux

Adjust the kick eq to give it a little more tock 5 to 8k ish boost

Taken some of the lows out of the backing vox and from the guitar bus

I think these small tweaks have given it a little more clarity in the low end, hopefully not lost to much impact

.mp3    Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.48 MB)

Sounds much better! Also take a look at the bass. It feels a little inconsistent and pops out from time to time at 100hz. Either cut some with the eq, apply a hard hitting compressor or multiband compressor. That should smooth it out!
Great job!
(03-06-2018, 11:57 AM)Bangbang Wrote: Sounds much better! Also take a look at the bass. It feels a little inconsistent and pops out from time to time at 100hz. Either cut some with the eq, apply a hard hitting compressor or multiband compressor. That should smooth it out!
Great job!

Thanks for the feedback, taken a look at the bass on your recommendation and made a very slight EQ adjustment, hopefully that will keep it in check a little better

Really glad i joined this community, a great place to get constructive feedback and ideas

.mp3    Ilmari Kontia - Funkkihillo v3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

Sorry for late reply. That little detail on the bass really did it for me! Sounds great!
(17-06-2018, 11:18 PM)Bangbang Wrote: Sorry for late reply. That little detail on the bass really did it for me! Sounds great!

Thanks BangBang