Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm Alright - Matties Mix!
Hey guys, this is the first time I'm posting on here, I'm pretty self conscious about my ability to mix, however; I don't want that to stop constructive criticism if there's something that you notice is a problem, please don't hesitate to tell me.

A few things I'd like to point out for anyone reading this, who hasn't given this a shot yet:
  • Getting this mix to sound loud whilst not over compressing it, seemed a bit of a challenge.
  • EQing the bass proved a little difficult, but I did what I could.
  • Reverb was the biggest challenge of the whole mix, I had trouble finding the right sounds.
  • The electric and acoustic guitar might not play nice together in the mix, automation is your friend.

I'd also like to point out here that everything was stock PT plugins, except for the Waves CLA Classic Compressors bundle.

Anyways, here's my mix!

.mp3    I\'m Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 7.03 MB)

Very nice balances Mattie. I agree, compression can be tricky and changes depending on the song type. A slower attack and quicker release may give your instruments more dynamics while still keeping them tight in the mix. Try adjusting the attack time on a track while listening to the whole mix. Using your drum overheads (and room mics if there are any) to give the kit a more natural sound. Then you can automate the cymbal hits afterward if they're too loud in the mix.

Cheers!
We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
Hey Mattie, good job! Nice eq balance and clarity on the mix. I think volume wise the electric and acoustic rhythm guitars are overpowering the solos, piano and percussion and also the doubled/background vocals are very quiet. The instruments sound great, great drums and great low end! Have you listened to my mix ? Would love some criticism too. Also mixed with only stock, actually mixed it in PT first Blush
Hey good mix!. I like the balance and general EQ you applied, vocal sound nice too.
I'm agree about the compression that Faders_up mention here, it is noticeable mostly in snare sound. Also I would give about 1.5 or 2db more to percussion but this is only my personal taste.
Good job overall
I've gone through and tweak a few things, mainly with the kit, I think I made the snare sound much better than what it originally did and after doing an A/B comparison with the previous mix, I realized that some of the other instruments were a little too squashed, so I fixed up a few things there.

I think that this version is allot more dynamic.

What are you thoughts?

.mp3    I\'m Alright Fix Up.mp3 --  (Download: 7.03 MB)

Nice job Mattie. Sounds more musical. Now tuck the vocal in a right above the snare and dial in the attack on the vocal compressor to tighten it up if needed and you’ll be in great shape.
We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
Here is what I think is the final version...

I changed up a few little bits and pieces, felt like the acoustic wasn't popping through, so I fiddled with the attack and release settings until I got it just about right, some quick automation on the guitar solo and changed up the EQ on the kick to make it come through in the mix a little better.

.mp3    I\'m Alright Final Maybe.mp3 --  (Download: 7.03 MB)