Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK MASTERED IT BOIS
I actually turned the trumpets down during a lot of this so I could bring them in at their usual dominant volume during a couple phrases nearer to the end. I feel like the trumpets down, bones up, bari up, and high reeds to feel gives it a softer sound. I didn't want to go for the huge brassy big band "in your face," thing, so a lot of the trumpet stabs which aren't melody lines are turned down. Getting the trombone harmony notes out of the bone mics (which seemed to actually be poorly places trumpet mics at times, but then again all of the mics were a little that way,) took some eq automation.

The rhythm section as a whole is louder than what is probably normal in big band stuff but I used to play drums so its me, ha. Basically the lead trumpet is coming more through the 3 room mics that I used and all of the other mics combined than it is through it's own mic until when he's actually blasting lead lines, after the sax soli is over and the trumpets take over.

the rhythm section is actually CLR'd, with high EQ piano on the same side as low EQ guitar, and high EQ guitar on the other side with low EQ piano. I thought of the idea because of the 2 piano mics. Bass and kick down the center, drum overs hard panned. Quite a few things past 60 degrees of panning and the others at 30-40. In the center to the slight left is lead horn blower, (if I remember correctly,) and somewhere in about the same spot are the high reeds.

I actually like the mastered version a lot better. I pushed some more 1.8-2K and some 16K+ through a rear bus and squashed it. It helps keep the quieter sax solis and the reed intro sounding louder compared to the full ensemble levels later on.

Cheers.

Edit: v2.0 with more low mids cut from the guitar and 1.0 dB of "everything less than 1200 Hz" shelved out. Also cut 4.2 hit-hat slosh out of the main bus but left it in the rear bus.

.mp3    Song of India mastered_17-01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.83 MB)

.mp3    Song of India v2_02.mp3 --  (Download: 6.93 MB)

Very nice, warm and natural sounding mix!
Just the right amount of proccesing for this acoustic style of music to make it sound great.

Maybe a little less of the low-mids overall?

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Yeah maybe so, The rhythm section sort of came up in mastering in a weird way, I've probably listened to that song 100 times too many and I don't have good perspective on it anymore. Working on the singer track now.

What you're probably hearing is the low eq half of the guitar and the lower bone mic in the left channel. I slotted them something like 50-100 Hz apart, and I either need to attenuate the low-mid boost on both of them by a little or I need to axe the low half of the guitar signal in the left channel and leave the guitar to the right channel entirely. The low bone mic is high passed at like 100, (its a high Q attenuation though, not really a high pass filter, its a high Q attenuation that meets parity gain at 100 Hz-ish,) boosted at like 250-300 and shelfed at 700, (something like that I think?) but with automation the eq gets crazier from there, because 600-700 was were the loudest trumpet notes were bleeding through. At one point one of those bone mics is cut by like 10 dBs at 700 and boosted at 550-600 by like 6. I found all of the "brassy-ness" that I didn't like at 2.6-3K, and I mean like, obviously its a brass band, but you don't actually need to hear most of those overtones to "know they're there," so to speak, so a lot of places where that is scooped, there was a weird dopey string noise in the guitar that I cut, (and then while I was re-amping it, I had this thought of like, "if this was recorded by a master jazz guitarist, is he getting this guitar sound on purpose and I just don't know what jazz guitar is supposed to sound like? Or did they record a dry guitar sound on purpose for engineers to sculpt?") and bad string noise in the bass DI also which I cut, I wonder if turning the bass DI down would solve the problem actually, because I loved the way the bass amp sort of rumbled, so I used it for the low-low end, but then I high passed the DI somewhere around 120 and boosted a mid frequency, (something over 1K, I forget,) on it for a little definition. I don't know if I scooped low mids out of the bass DI but it might just be too much from the bass DI as well. That was all done in the mix though. It was done on headphones though, so I blame that. Smile

With all that said, you could just shelf everything over 1.2 up a dB or 2 and that might solve the problem as well.

I feel like its hard to change without starting all over.
DanLane, Love the air you are getting from the brass Section. Keep it up.