Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You and Me and the Radio (Don Perignon Mix)
Well, here's my first print. What do ya think? I really liked the drums in this song, so that's really what I focused on to drive the song. I referenced a lot of CLA songs that have that high end sparkle. Anyways, I would love to hear some feedback.

.mp3    You and Me and the Radio - First Print.mp3 --  (Download: 11.53 MB)

Don Perignon
Mix Engineer / Hobbyist
https://soundcloud.com/donald-holland
Bump...
Don Perignon
Mix Engineer / Hobbyist
Hi Don,

Very interesting mix contribution! Here is my overall perception of it as well as my thoughts and ideas:

The first thing I noticed is that the snare is mellow, soft and pleasant. Could possibly be some dBs louder but its loudness also works the way is, it helps making the song more pop style rather than rock style, which style you choose is purely a creative choice. The bass line is loud enough creating a nice groove. I find that you have worked a lot on balancing all frequencies, without that the mix could come across less appealing over time. It is a good quality, almost to the point of too good, I would say it is both the strongest and weakest link, the reason why I find it not only good is because the song remains in a "released clean mode" over quite a long period which causes some energy drop over time, with some more unbalance would come some "tension buildup" as well, so I think it would be a good thing to let it "fall apart" a little here and there in the verses, maybe push it a bit louder as well. But I find the mix is overall very well balanced, very interesting mix contribution! Cool

Please also have a listen to my mix and leave some comments! Thanks! Cool

My mix
Hey,

Thanks for the comments! Yea I'm a sucker for compression. lol Maybe it's a touch too much, it could be a little more dynamic cause I do see what you mean by energy drop. Could be the compression messing with the attack of the snare too...I'm new to mixing drums.

I just got my new speakers (KRK VXT6's) and I can actually hear bass now with the help of acoustic treatment too of course. I have a lot of fun messing with bass and it seems to be the #1 compliment I get. I usually start with the API 550 EQ presets (forbidden word lol), one usually ends up working. Then I compress, slow attack (in this case 7ms), slow release (600ms) and threshold to around 6 dB or so, I kinda compress the crap out of it. Then I EQ all the top end to around 800 to 900 Hz to get a real thick bottom, depending on the song of course.

Don Perignon
Mix Engineer / Hobbyist
(16-08-2013, 07:08 AM)Don Perignon Wrote: Well, here's my first print. What do ya think? I really liked the drums in this song, so that's really what I focused on to drive the song. I referenced a lot of CLA songs that have that high end sparkle. Anyways, I would love to hear some feedback.

The lead vocals need to come up. BG's need to come up, also. The guitars are sort of uncomfortable with something in the high end somewhere deserving a cut somewhere in that freq range and maybe a bit more beef or weight to be added to the mids. After those 2 things are addressed I think you'll have a bangin' mix. Its real close. Good job.