Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just One Minute
First print so far.... twisted some knobs and this is the result so far Tongue

.mp3    linquafunqa_justoneminute_print1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Hi Axxess

Listened to it on the monitors..sounds solid, nice levels and tone. On a personal preference note, I think I might have used less reverb or a different one on the snare.

Really nice balance, Good Job!!

Cheers
KirkSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks for listening Smile

I adjusted the reverb so it's not quite as intense on the snare.
I added the congas and triangle to the room reverb at pretty low levels just to try and glue it together a bit more. Uploaded the new version below.

Wanted to try out some new techniques so here was my approach on this song:

I wasn't sure if the drums would work out since I haven't really edited drums too much in the past. Since this is supposed to be more of a Pop song I decided to quantize the kick and snare and aligned the drum tracks accordingly.

I didn't really do anything to the synths aside from turning down a couple of them a bit (synth2 and 3 i think since they hit a bit too hard).
The guitars I basically crushed with my Renaissance Axx. I did some level automation on the guitars to keep them from being too much on the ears.

I used limiters on the vox, bass and guitar since those were to me my main elements and then I let the other elements push and pull the energy.

I tried to leave a good amount of headroom on the master so the track had room to breathe between the different sections. I let the arrangements basically carry the energy throughout the song. The low end on the bass is automated between sections to help carry the energy as well.

.mp3    linquafunqa_justoneminute_print3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

The beginning sounds off, I think something didn't line up right.
Hi,
I agree the something with the timing of some tracks knocked out of time I have done it many times before !
Maybe tame some low frequencies with the vocals competing for space 90-250hz area just a guess !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(06-05-2018, 05:27 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi,
I agree the something with the timing of some tracks knocked out of time I have done it many times before !
Maybe tame some low frequencies with the vocals competing for space 90-250hz area just a guess !

Cheers Big Grin
Ooops Big Grin
Fixed it (I hope).
adjusted the vox a bit. Thanks for the heads up Smile

.mp3    linquafunqa_justoneminute_print4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Could use more work on the vocal and background vocal - you need to do at least some de-essing. Levels seem ok and overall frequency balance. Though I'm really not a fan of the drum reverb in general, I think it's wrong one for this style of music (of course taste is taste and subjective heh). Lacks some energy for such a groovy track.
(06-05-2018, 07:12 PM)Knz Wrote: Could use more work on the vocal and background vocal - you need to do at least some de-essing. Levels seem ok and overall frequency balance. Though I'm really not a fan of the drum reverb in general, I think it's wrong one for this style of music (of course taste is taste and subjective heh). Lacks some energy for such a groovy track.

Thanks Big Grin

Made some adjustments. Added automation and tried to smooth out the vocals a bit with a de-esser as well.

.mp3    linguafunqa_justoneminute_print5.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Niko
IMO the drums on your earlier version were better, they're kinda buried on the new one I think, especially kick (limiter there or something?). Also the guitar is really loud compared to rest of the track. Nice tip for checking the volume of stuff is to listen at super low volume so that you barely hear anything. At that volume you should still hear all the main elements of the mix well balanced. In the case of this song I'd say vocal, kick, snare and even the bass (though perhaps not the lowest fundamental, depends on your monitoring setup).
If you do that to your latest mix you'll find out that guitar is by far the loudest thing (especially on verses). Even on the earlier version the guitar is kinda loud, but overall the drums+vocal+bass was more evenly balanced. Vocals on the new one are waaaay better though with all the SSSS taken care of and such =)
(08-05-2018, 03:14 AM)Knz Wrote: IMO the drums on your earlier version were better, they're kinda buried on the new one I think, especially kick (limiter there or something?). Also the guitar is really loud compared to rest of the track. Nice tip for checking the volume of stuff is to listen at super low volume so that you barely hear anything. At that volume you should still hear all the main elements of the mix well balanced. In the case of this song I'd say vocal, kick, snare and even the bass (though perhaps not the lowest fundamental, depends on your monitoring setup).
If you do that to your latest mix you'll find out that guitar is by far the loudest thing (especially on verses). Even on the earlier version the guitar is kinda loud, but overall the drums+vocal+bass was more evenly balanced. Vocals on the new one are waaaay better though with all the SSSS taken care of and such =)

Yeah, I don't know what I was doing but I totally messed up the attack on my bus compressor and killed the dynamics lol. I tried to bring up the hi-hat since it was kind of buried and seemed to add a bit more groove to the overall feel of the track I think. Added some processing to a few other elements as well and dropped the guitar by a LOT and tried to make the strings a bit more present in the mix.

.mp3    linguafunqa_justoneminute_print6.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Niko