Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Ashton's 'Much Too Much' - Selwyn Jazz
I really enjoyed working this tune. I began with the preview recording, and then went to the multi-track, left all the tracks at unity and turned down the master fader about 7dB. Amazingly, I hit it just right so I was peaking at -0.2dB. Balancing was simple, pushing the saxes to the right and the trumpets and trombone to the left adjusting the faders for those tracks to get them all around -5dB or so. Then I started EQing those horns and saxes, rolling off at about 150Hz and cutting everything below 120Hz. Then I went to work on the drums, gating the kick and EQing, adjusting the snare level down 2.5dB and adding sizzle to the overheads, boosting 7.5kHz and up about 3dB. The snare also get an exciter applied.

The guitar track was the most difficult to place and EQ. It seems the guitarist rolled off his tone knob almost all the way; there's a lot between 80Hz and 300Hz, so I low shelved about -10dB from 250Hz down and cut everything below 82Hz. Placement was another issue - I didn't like it on the left with the trombone, or on the right with the saxes. That's when I boosted around 2kHz and again at about 5kHz, cut it down another 1.5dB and gave it the left side. It seemed to sit better there and not interfere as much with the horns and saxes.

Only the group buses, drums, rhythm section and saxes and horns got compressed. Then I began working on EQing the vocalist. At two points in the song 600Hz and about 1.1kHz popped up a good 5dB; those frequencies got sharp and narrow cuts, so they only came up about 2dB compared to nearby frequencies. There's also a little bit of reverb on the vocalist only. The room mics provided the reverb for the band. Finally, I bounced and mastered. LU Range is 5.7 and LUFS-I is -14, preserving much of the dynamics. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    SelwynJazz_MuchTooMuch_Mix1A_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.05 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I like your version Dave ,
Sounds well balanced On my monitors !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts