Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Stop And Rise' My Mix Attempt
Hello Everyone,

This is my first mix posting in this forum and I would love to hear the feedback. I'm in a spot where I don't trust my monitors just yet and I'm mixing almost totally in my Headphones. Sony MDR-7506's. If I could get some idea of the bottom end that would be nice.

I liked this challenge because I found that this project was practically all guitar DI's. I tried to give a different sound to the Set of guitars and basically stuck with 2 different kind. One of a "Marshall" flavor and adding a "Mesa Recti" amp for the "Wide" guitars.

I hope you like!

Thanks,
Doc

.mp3    Stop_And_Rise.mp3 --  (Download: 9.53 MB)

Hi Doc,

your mix is in my opinion pretty well balanced and I like it, also interesting usage of FX.
Some of my other thoughts:

I think you should go easier with limiter, there's some clipping goin on in some parts. (did you use a limiter?)

The vocals in verses could be more "in the face", they are kinda behind and thin - on the other hand, the choruses are very nice but the guitars are gone, somewhere.. Smile

The low end seems bit messy to me, but does its job. Maybe you could make more room for each "bass" element with eq or sidechain compression. But I'm also more of a "headphone" mixer and I'm not clearly sure about what should've been done better. (Maybe some more highpass filtering on individual tracks?)

The most important thing - I guess you've cut out lots of midrange, what could be also a half of a solution of mentioned problems. More midrange will give you more natural sound as well as perceived loudness, if you're after it.

Hope it helps,
have a nice day!

(06-05-2018, 11:08 PM)stichzor Wrote: Hi Doc,

your mix is in my opinion pretty well balanced and I like it, also interesting usage of FX.
Some of my other thoughts:

I think you should go easier with limiter, there's some clipping goin on in some parts. (did you use a limiter?)

The vocals in verses could be more "in the face", they are kinda behind and thin - on the other hand, the choruses are very nice but the guitars are gone, somewhere.. Smile

The low end seems bit messy to me, but does its job. Maybe you could make more room for each "bass" element with eq or sidechain compression. But I'm also more of a "headphone" mixer and I'm not clearly sure about what should've been done better. (Maybe some more highpass filtering on individual tracks?)

The most important thing - I guess you've cut out lots of midrange, what could be also a half of a solution of mentioned problems. More midrange will give you more natural sound as well as perceived loudness, if you're after it.

Hope it helps,
have a nice day!

Thank you for your comments. I went back and did some more EQ work on the guitars. I had not done any work on them other than the SSL channel strip I was using on each track. I eq'd the bus signals for each GROUP of guitars and tried to tame the verb a bit after all the changes. My machine is running out of juice as ALL of those guitars are VST instruments and the suck up the processor.

Maybe this will fix a few of the issues and most likely add more :-)..

All Feedback is very appreciated!

-Doc

.mp3    Stop_And_Rise.mp3 --  (Download: 9.44 MB)