Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man About A Dog: 'Maggie May'
Last mix a few years ago!#$%Huh lol

I was looking for a song to mix and listened to the preview and found it perfect for what I wanted to try.

Old school 60's type mix ,, drums and bass panned hard Left, Guitars and Keys hard right and main vocal center. The challenge was to get it to sound balanced and not sound too busy on the right side and to get the guitars stacked but able to be distinguishable.
Only compression was used on the instruments and drums. vocals with a bit of slapback. Main buss has an L1 maximizer and abbey road J37 and EQ.

Headphone mix

Fun Mix .. Let me know what you think .. comments are always welcome.

This was a fun experiment

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Man about a Dog-Maggie May.mp3 --  (Download: 6.37 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hi, K! Really cool drums and bass. The left side sounds gorgeous and pretty accurate, maybe too much low rumble but good anyway, reminds me of Highway61Revisited or BlondeOnBlonde.

The right side, however, seems to be not panned hard enough, so the mix feels a little uneasy, kinda claustrophobic, maybe the organ it's taking too much oxygen of the right side and it could feel better over the rhythm section.

Hey Kirk,

Pretty cool mix. Great vibe and styling that works well.

I can agree with Deliza for the most part. Firstly I'm wondering if it would be better if the bass was placed straight up the middle. I believe this would give the song a solid grounding for the panned arrangement. Now, are the drums mono-ed or still partially stereo? They feel to me like they are moving around a little. Try mono-ing them fully (if they're not), panning them hard left and set up a wet room reverb and pan it hard all the way to the right side and blend to taste. That will give you the panned sound, but within a performance space if that makes sense. You could also apply something similar to the guitars on the right side. With the right reverbs you can get some great results and open the mix right up whist still maintaining cohesion. Don't forget to experiment with mono-ing up your reverbs also.Big Grin

Anyways, a great start. Love to hear where you take it.
Yep, toms seem to be slightly panned differently, kinda "offaxis" but it still sounds cool. In all the "Highway 61 Revisited" LP, bass was panned left opposite to the drums and it's a glorious sound, proving that stereo can be anything you want but it's like somewhere around the road everyone felt content sticking to a very rigid way of doing things.

Just because Beatles' stereo was so amateurishly done doesn't mean all stereo was bad in the 60's, far from it.