Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretariat: 'Over The Top'
Rock and Roll!!

Fun Mix .. kinda went really crunchy and dryer than normally .. old school

Comments welcome

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Over The Top1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.08 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Great mix K,

I think you have achieved your objective. I like the vocal doubling and love the way you've brought the keys to the forefront, no easy task! The snare maybe a bit resonate and "honky" at times (around that 600Hz area I'm guessing). Otherwise the mix translates at my end really well. Too Good!

Dave
Thanks Dave

Ill have to get the snare under control.. Ill try notching it down around the 600 range.
i think I need to tame the guitars a bit too.

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(26-04-2018, 03:02 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Thanks Dave

Ill have to get the snare under control.. Ill try notching it down around the 600 range.

Cheers

KSmile

Yeah, listening through my trusty monitors I hear what you mean with the guitars. Here is my eq setting for Gtr2. which worked well for me. This was pretty much mirrored across the other 2 guitar tracks with just slight differences to the centre frequencies. Hope this helps.

Thumbnail(s)

Old school indeed! You got the sound you went for. It reminds me to Blue Oyster Cult a lot! That's a good sign. Probably you could dirty it up even more. Check out anything from their album "Tyranny and Mutation" to see what I mean.
Tone and balance wise, your mix is really good. Probably the bass a little dense making the guitars a little shy. I'm missing a little aggressiveness, a little "grabbing the listener" by the throat.

Great job with this one!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(27-04-2018, 08:52 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(26-04-2018, 03:02 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Thanks Dave

Cheers

KSmile

Yeah, listening through my trusty monitors I hear what you mean with the guitars. Here is my eq setting for Gtr2. which worked well for me. This was pretty much mirrored across the other 2 guitar tracks with just slight differences to the centre frequencies. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave for taking the time .. Ill put together another mix together and give that a shot
Cheers
KSmile

(27-04-2018, 10:41 AM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Old school indeed! You got the sound you went for. It reminds me to Blue Oyster Cult a lot! That's a good sign. Probably you could dirty it up even more. Check out anything from their album "Tyranny and Mutation" to see what I mean.
Tone and balance wise, your mix is really good. Probably the bass a little dense making the guitars a little shy. I'm missing a little aggressiveness, a little "grabbing the listener" by the throat.

Great job with this one!

Hey Octo
Thanks .. I have to give the album a listen and see if we can get closer to what your saying, get the bass a bit more aggressive

Cheers
KSmile
Hi KMuzic i agree with Dave about the resonant on the snare,apart from that it sounds great.
(04-05-2018, 06:36 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi KMuzic i agree with Dave about the resonant on the snare,apart from that it sounds great.

Thanks Cudjoe
Yeah, seems lately all my snare sounds seem trebly and resonant .. need to work on it.
Cheers
Kirk