Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Banned From The Zoo: 'Turn On Me'
Hi!

Here goes my take...

.mp3    Turn_Final.mp3 --  (Download: 9.99 MB)

Hi Valladares,

thanks for sharing your mix. It's interesting to see how this particular song keeps attracting people and how the variety of visions keeps growing :-) With your mix, I think you claim the "roomy, airy" end of the spectrum, which was so far inhabited by uzilevi (while Tim D went for the other end). I would not have gone in that direction (and did not), but find it interesting to hear what one can find there. I smiled when the Ukulele delay became obvious at 1:45. But I also recognized how I still dislike what and how the snare is playing, which is why I prefer it muffled. And what crossed my personal noticeability threshold in your mix was the vocal's sibilance. It jumped into my face at 0:42. It's not much louder than in any of the other mixes, but your equalization and reverb / delay seem to make it stick out more. (A nod to uzilevi... he seems to be the only one who actually took care of this problem).

All in all I would say: too much high frequencies and too much reverb / delay for my taste, but a very interesting listen!
Hi,

Thanks for your comments! You're right, i've explored the reverbs/delays a lot, because i found it "dry" when i first listened to the rough mix. Few instruments, lots of empty spaces... I've definitely choosen to give this song a "airy" finish.

The snare was played in such a gentle/soft manner that i've decided to lift some top end. I've posted another mix (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...hp?tid=226), the snare sounds different, i would love to read your thoughts about it...

About the vocal's sibilance... I think it's a good approach boosting some highs to give voice a "breathe", specially in such soft song, altought it leaves some excessive sibilance. Listen to "Vicitims" from Culture Club, it's a nice example (not a reference, just an example...).

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
I'm not an audio pro (i'm a dentist!)... I have no training in audio production and i've been learning mixing stuff by myself. I make my mixes on a pc with on-board Realtek audio and an ATH-M50 headphone.

Sorry for my basic English!

Best regards,
Valladares
I guess, Valladares,

(12-08-2012, 10:58 PM)Valladares Wrote: [...] I'm not an audio pro (i'm a dentist!). I have no training in audio production and i've been learning mixing stuff by myself. I make my mixes on a pc with on-board Realtek audio and an ATH-M50 headphone.[...]

you get that all the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSJSzLWsUTc ...?! Big Grin

I'm no audio pro either... but I've heard mixes from pros that underwhelmed me decisively, so it does not bother me too much. I found, though, that mixing 'natural' music without halfway decent monitors is very, very difficult.

(12-08-2012, 10:58 PM)Valladares Wrote: [...] I've posted another mix (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...hp?tid=226), the snare sounds different, i would love to read your thoughts about it...

I won't have access to my monitors (see above) for a couple of days, but when I have, I'll listen to it. And I usually find something comment-worthy :-)

(12-08-2012, 10:58 PM)Valladares Wrote: [...] About the vocal's sibilance... I think it's a good approach boosting some highs to give voice a "breathe", specially in such soft song,[...]

Yes, I absolutely agree! In principle. I have only two points: this song, as I 'read' it, is a very intimate one, and for me, that asks for a similarly intimate sonic space. But that is my response. Yours is different, and I am glad you went with yours.

But! The degree of sibilance I worry about here (and that uzilevi worried about in my mix, even if it is dull in comparison) is a technical problem, I'd say, and no longer a matter of taste.

My suggestion is that you closely examine the waveform around 0:42. If my recollection is correct, the "s" consists of two legitimate amplitude bumps, followed by a third on. That's a hissing sound. Cut it out and see if you like the result. (I would hesitate to use a deesser on this track.)

(12-08-2012, 10:58 PM)Valladares Wrote: [...]Sorry for my basic English![...]

Your what? Tongue

Regards

Marc