Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ilmari Kontia 'Funkkihillo'
(17-05-2018, 07:13 AM)DanLane Wrote: On the subject of your actual mix. I like the snare sound. I put that shuffling guitar rhythm part in the beginning in basically the same spot you did, the BVs sound nice and punchy in the first verse. LV levels are nice and upfront the whole time. First chorus has some cool vocal effects. Really nice spot for the guitar counter melody line that is big but out of the way of the vocal. Too much verb on this guitar solo? By maybe a little bit, that might be my taste though. I see you quantized the drum fill, sounds nice, and got the odd meter right. Like #1 better than #2.

Thanks for your thoughts, DanLane. I'm gland that for the most part you approve of my mixing moves. As for the guitar solo, It's just become a thing that I tend to do. It comes from when I'm playing guitar and jump into a solo, I always stomp on the delay pedal to help thicken things up. I guess this has evolved into my mixing also. I'm just a sucker for delay.Big Grin

Dave
I'm in the process of deciding how short of a "what-I'd do if someone was paying me for this," result I'm going to actually post here. The novelty of taking it on as a rescue is wearing off. The tuning conflicts between guitars are mostly resolved but it left the singer sounding like a mangled flat dog, and even finding what note he was trying to sing in the first place is challenging in a few lines. I feel also like I have to sample something in to fill the tom-tom hits as well but I don't have anything on hand and everything online seems to be electronic. Any source of drum samples you know of?

Strangely the BVs seems to carry their tune much more strongly. I'm thinking about just pitch shifting this vocal all over the place to get it close and then trashifying it somehow to make it sound like its all part of the thing. Its the same thing with the quantizing of the rhythm section, now that the guitars are less ambiguous about their tuning it makes every mistake the singer makes sound that much worse.

The toms are so dumb sounding in some of these fills though.

I feel like a plastic surgeon who's walked into a gastric bypass by mistake and already has blood up to his elbows, haha.
I'm giving my ears a rest tonight and calling it on about 80 hours. I didnt replace the toms after all because I still can't find any good samples that aren't designed for dubstep, and the first intro section might as well be another guitar solo because the sustain parts are detuned so randomly that it was the only thing I couldn't fix. I left one in as a joke to show how it slides around out of tune. The vocal recording was dynamic as heck and out of tune. It was frustrating because I feel like he gets a good tone every once in a while, but he's straining to hit the right notes while listening to a bunch of de-tuned guitars in his monitors and it made it weird. I spent barely an hour mastering, I'll give it a last listen tommorow and post it.