Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
CEF Mallorca GSII 2017-18 Sessions: 'Viviendo Del Reves' kapu mix
(05-04-2018, 09:34 AM)Monk Wrote: OMG! Replay Gain [...]

Thanks for taking a listen! Too bad it didn't work for you.

I basically conform the master level with the flow. YouTube uses RG +4.5 for music, so it would have taken the level down 6 dBs in the playback environment, which is pretty much a "standard" for contemporary music.

Sorry, if you felt the premaster level was deceiving, but that really is just trivial issue of setting the playback level. I personally benchmark the premaster at significantly louder listening level, and usually a more squashed premaster works for me better due to the lower peak-to-rms ratio. This also happens to be the case with clients/consumers who practically always want to audition the mix premastered, even if the actual final mastering is done separately by someone else.

I really didn't pay too much attention with arrangement and tried to mix it on 'as is' basis. The final edit would have of course been a decision for the producer to make, maybe in collaboration with the mixing engineer if necessary. I just dialed in channel tones and then adjusted the levels etc with the most dense parts of the song.

I happen to like chaotic things, repetition and all sorts of weird unhuman noises etc. Especially in the context of edm, trap and contemporary pop music in general, where everything is mostly done with mathematical precision, and then suddenly something completetly unpredictable happens. Although this is a more traditional band piece, I tried to mold it into something what I liked, but couldn't care less if every individual element is totally audible at any given point.

Still, point taken, and I'm constantly revising my workflows. But before we get those Al Schmitt engineered tracks from Paul McCartneys Kisses on the Bottom sessions at Capitol Records we're going to have to make the most of what we get. ^_^

Messages In This Thread
RE: CEF Mallorca GSII 2017-18 Sessions: 'Viviendo Del Reves' kapu mix - by kapu - 05-04-2018, 10:45 PM