Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Line - arrangement changes and mix
Hi there,

Thank you James for making this lovely song available for mix practice!
Really enjoyed it.

I put arrangement changes but it's really just a few little tweaks, but I constructed an intro to show off a little more cello, and also to demonstrate problems I was having with the guitars, which is why the eq moves around for the first few bars Smile

I decided early on that the cello was going to take centre-stage as much as possible (love cello!)

I used one reverb for all instruments and vocals, the Softube TSAR-1R, and used a UAD EMT 140 for a drum plate.
I sent the bass DI signal through an amp-sim then blended with the original.
Did the same with the cellos.

I revisited the guitars because I made a mess of them first time round, and tried to add back some warmth to the cello.

There's parallel compression on the drum bus, and I put Softube Tape on the drum bus as well.
Every channel was mixed through Console 1's SSL 4000E strips, and I mixed into the Drawmer S73 on the Mix bus, and slapped a Pultec plug over the mix buss as well.

That pretty much covers the breakdown!

Would love to hear what you think. Thanks!
edit: (updated mp3 10/07/18, in post below!)
Very creative ideas here. And this mix sounds much better to me than the first one you posed.

I really like what you did with the breakdown after the instrumental verse and also the outro. I like the spirit of the intro, but it seems a bit long and might be more effective if you axed bars 5-8 and 13-16.

Cool stuff!
James May
(16-04-2018, 08:13 PM)James May Wrote: Very creative ideas here. And this mix sounds much better to me than the first one you posed.

I really like what you did with the breakdown after the instrumental verse and also the outro. I like the spirit of the intro, but it seems a bit long and might be more effective if you axed bars 5-8 and 13-16.

Cool stuff!

Hi James!

Thank you so much for commenting Smile
I apologise for such a delayed response, I had no idea you'd posted!
I agree that the intro could be more concise.
I've just been revisiting this song as it's a great learning tool - it's also a great song, which helps Wink
Here's a newer version of the mix, after having had some advice and guidance from a pro - it's getting closer to where I want it Smile

Hope you enjoy this one too.

Thanks James,

Quetz

.mp3    Quetz_J.May_On the Line_Revisit Updated.mp3 --  (Download: 10.75 MB)

Hi Quetz

Really well assembled mix, very creative.

Great Job!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(09-07-2018, 04:04 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Quetz

Really well assembled mix, very creative.

Great Job!

Cheers
KSmile

Thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated Smile