Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'All Souls Moon'
Comments and thoughts on this mix are appreciated.

.mp3    JamesMay_AllSoulsMoon_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.98 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
There's a couple of things that presented as trouble areas in this first mix. The shaker was too loud, often masking cymbals and hi-hats in the drum mix. The basses got "boomie" on occasion so low cuts were made at 35Hz and 24dB /octave. There were some sibilant issues in the vocals, and the keyboard parts were buried most of the time. I think I've corrected each of those problems in the mix.

In this master, I believe I'm correcting resonant frequencies, specifically, at about 210Hz I made a sharp cut of about 6dB, Q of 6.293. Likewise, at 2.1kHz there's a sharper cut of 6.25dB, Q of 10.727. The low cut is at 40Hz and 24dB / octave.

Let me know if I've made improvements or need to go back to "the drawing board" and try again.

.mp3    JamesMay_AllSoulsMoon_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.87 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Nice job Dave
Listened to it in the headphones and sounds really smooth and solid.
You cleaned it up nicely from the first mix. Sounds like a keeper to me!
Great Job!!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks, K. I'm starting to learn my EQ lessons, where and how to make space for various instruments to sit in the mix, so less needs to be done at mastering.
Peace,
Dave