Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tall Heights - 'Spirit cold'
Hi guys,

Very engaging live recording, a joy to mix despite the problems with the spill.

Considering the material, I went for a live sound and tried to make it larger than life. I used Proximity to play around with the positioning of the tracks, doubling the guitar and other elements. I had to go easy because the voice was present in many tracks, but it worked fine as a voice chorus widening the voices.

That was pretty much it. Most of the treatment was done on the mix bus to mess around as less as possible. Eq, compression, saturation, de-essing and dynamic eq. A lot of automation in several places too.

Actually, I added a raw copy of the voices over the whole track with some compression and a little echo to blend with the background, to make up for the widening of the voice combined with the verb and echo. It keeps the voices focused in mono while the verb sounds big on the sides.

.mp3    Tall+Heights+-+Spirit+Cold.OctoOnFire-001.mp3 --  (Download: 11.63 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hello my mollusk friend!

I think your balance is fantastic, but as I found in the tracks, there is a giant buildup of low mids in the tracks. It can really cover a lot of detail of the instruments. I know I had to attenuate them a lot more than I normally would like to.

You balance, panning, and effects are beautiful, don't let them get covered and really let the track shine!

Draper
Hi Octo

Really nice balance!! Sounds great

Good Job

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Sounds great on my monitors ,I like the stereo separation one thing I have to do in my mix !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(10-03-2018, 12:45 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds great on my monitors ,I like the stereo separation one thing I have to do in my mix !

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks! As a matter of fact, the final mix was so wide that the voices were totally out of focus, so I slapped a copy of both voice tracks on top of it all... and it worked! Guess there are no rules after all. Big Grin
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(09-03-2018, 07:19 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hello my mollusk friend!

I think your balance is fantastic, but as I found in the tracks, there is a giant buildup of low mids in the tracks. It can really cover a lot of detail of the instruments. I know I had to attenuate them a lot more than I normally would like to.

You balance, panning, and effects are beautiful, don't let them get covered and really let the track shine!

Draper

Thanks, it's kind of a compromise in this mix... whenever I thinned out that part, the guitar and even the whole mix lost weight. I'll see if I can address that with a dynEQ.

Works for me! Sounds great, Cohesive and full. Lovely vocal arrangement, works well, whist remaining grounded and centred. Well done.

Dave