Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretariat: 'Borderline' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

my mix, let me know what you think.

Drums: EQ, PL Compression, Fake Room (OHs sent to reverb)
Bass: Tape, EQ, Comp, SC-Comp (for kick and snare)
Acoutics: EQ, Comp
Electric: Tape, EQ
Lead GTR: Verb, delay, Chorus, EQ, Reverb and octave up for brightness
Lead Vox: PL and Serial Compressors (3 in total), saturation and EQ
BG Vox: EQ and Comp

V2:
Deleted the Room emulation on the Drums.
Acoustics, Vox, Electrics and Overheads are now bussed to a room reverb instead to give a more consistent sense of space (besides the obvious "effects")
Darker Ryhtmguitars, bit more tape comp to tame transients
Cleaned up the right acoustics high frequencys
Decreased level of main vox
Increased Level of drums
Repanned BG Vox (Automated)

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    Secretariat_Borderline_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

.mp3    Secretariat_Borderline_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

Though I find I like your mix more and more as I play it, that fake room treatment might have been a little too much, Lukas. There's an uneasy contrast, space wise, between drums and and everything else. Guitars and voice sound really good in isolation while drums sound good too but feel too wet, distant and soft in comparison, so it's like they belong to a different mix. Guitars panned right might be too dry and inyourface (the electric one, especially), too, adding up to that feeling of not glueing together. I'd like to know what happens if you make that guitar a little darker and softer while giving more presence to the drums. Or just add some room reverb to the guitars and voice, who knows?

The sweetening jump out of the middle8 and the solo are great, love for details always pays. But that second voice is asking for a little love!

Thank you for the critique. I added 2nd version with notes.
I like v2 better, though I think voice lost its place a little, especially against the right panned main electric guitar.
Tom fills sound pretty meaty now! and there's a regal and warm quality about that tone you got, dig it. It makes the song feel relevant. May I ask what'd you use for tape comp? Is it a raw mix or is it mastered?
(10-08-2018, 09:47 AM)Deliza Wrote: I like v2 better, though I think voice lost its place a little, especially against the right panned main electric guitar.
Tom fills sound pretty meaty now! and there's a regal and warm quality about that tone you got, dig it. It makes the song feel relevant. May I ask what'd you use for tape comp? Is it a raw mix or is it mastered?
For Tape I used ToneBoosters Ferox On the electric guitars, on the mix bus I used ReelBus also by ToneBoosters.
This mix is mastered (EQ, COMP, MULTIBAND, TAPE, CONSOLE EMU, LMIMTER)
although the levels are pretty conservative.
Reelbus (v4) here, too!
Hey Lucas
I like version 2 also, Nice smooth mix, sounded good on the monitors. Maybe the crunch guitars a tad too loud when they come in, but not a big deal.
Great mixing!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.