Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mix pennies
only been mixing a few months and dont know a whole lot, just basics of audio and post production! probably my 4th mix ever.

.mp3    Pennies master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.82 MB)

Level wise I think the mix is pretty well balanced. I do think the kick drum could use more low end eq to help it drive the song. It sounds very thin as it is. Not so much so but the snare could use a little beefing up as well.
I struggled with the bass and snare, and as you can see, i didnt do very well. ill take a look at it and see what i can do. in my opinion the drums were poorly recorded for this song. Im mixing another of the bands songs and it is much better.

Thanks for the feedback!
Hi Aaron L,

the recordings of all this songs aren't too good, which leads to very hard work during mixing. There are a lot of phase issues and the tones from the drums aren't particular usefull aswell.

So, you did quite a good job here. The guitars are really phasy, but I've got the feeling that you did this at least partly on purpose. The snare could indead need more beef, but that is one of the very hard things here.

One thing you should keep an eye on are the sibilinaces in the vocals, they seem a bit strange and overbearing from time to time. A deesser may be of some use here, but also reducing the gain of the particular parts of the signal. If you zoom in, they are usually pretty tight waveforms.

If you want to, put a lot of work into this to work against the recording, or just take a look and see if you can at least recognise the things we mention here and move on to the next song. There are a lot that are easier to mix if you are just starting out.

Cheers
Artbass
Hi, Aaron

I entirely agree with Artbass. Just pay attention to what more experienced mixers tell you and maybe you'll be hearing it two or three times in your next mixes, but there won't be a fourth time because you'll be able to hear it by yourself.

I started mixing in April and now I'm starting to have mixes that people here like, so if you go on like I did, in no time you'll have your own reward for the hard work!
mixing since April 2013