Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot -Fool
My mix

I'm going to have this song stuck in my head for a long time, Loved the riff references to some classics.

To me the song had a very steely dan vibe, so I went with that.

Fun Mix, Fun Tune

Comments always greatly appreciated

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Patrick Talbot-FOOL2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hi K,

Great vibe and textures. Mix feels a little grainy and old school, which works wonders in its favor. I would push that character even further if possible.

Couple things to fix, IMO, voice feels a little harsh(ish) and the sibilants poke out at some points. Probably the guitars are a tad too dry. Overall... probably a little more beef in the mid/low-mid range?

Great job on this one, seriously good.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(20-02-2018, 02:03 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi K,

Great vibe and textures. Mix feels a little grainy and old school, which works wonders in its favor. I would push that character even further if possible.

Couple things to fix, IMO, voice feels a little harsh(ish) and the sibilants poke out at some points. Probably the guitars are a tad too dry. Overall... probably a little more beef in the mid/low-mid range?

Great job on this one, seriously good.

Hi Simon

Yes, the vocals were definitely a tough one for me on this song. They need to be manually deesed, There is a deeser on all the vocals and volume automation, I think I squashed them too much. I just couldn't get them to sound right. Ill have to work on them some more,
Ill pump the low midrange a little more in the next version, and add a splash of verb to the guitars.

Thanks for the feedbacks, its greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Sweeet!

Great work K!

Really like the direction you've gone for here. That middle eight guitar section is just so heavenly! A Very tasteful mix complete with some pushed stylistic choices that work favourably and keeps the song moving along on it's toes.

We are so lucky to have so much of Patricks work there to play with.

Well Done K. I might have another listen now, if thats okBig Grin
(21-02-2018, 11:50 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Sweeet!

Great work K!

Really like the direction you've gone for here. That middle eight guitar section is just so heavenly! A Very tasteful mix complete with some pushed stylistic choices that work favourably and keeps the song moving along on it's toes.

We are so lucky to have so much of Patricks work there to play with.

Well Done K. I might have another listen now, if thats okBig Grin

Hey Dave

Thanks for the kind words
This was a fun mix and I really dig his music, makes it so much fun! Now that I've listened to it a few times. I'm hearing little things that I want to change besides fixing the vocals.
Thanks for checking it out!!

Cheers!!

KSmile

Hey K,

great mix. Oh and probably my favourite Bass sound I've heard on this forum. (Would you mind sharing your FX chain Big Grin)

Some minor tweaks I would suggest:
The vocals do seem a bit loud though and all the panning going here sometimes feels a bit overwhelming in headphones. (I don't have any monitors sorry xD)
Overall the dynamics could be tamed a little more. Some parts just seem pokey from time to time. It could help to smooth out the track.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(21-02-2018, 10:35 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey K,

great mix. Oh and probably my favourite Bass sound I've heard on this forum. (Would you mind sharing your FX chain Big Grin)

Some minor tweaks I would suggest:
The vocals do seem a bit loud though and all the panning going here sometimes feels a bit overwhelming in headphones. (I don't have any monitors sorry xD)
Overall the dynamics could be tamed a little more. Some parts just seem pokey from time to time. It could help to smooth out the track.
Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks Lucas

Pretty simple Bass FX chain ,, Used BlueCat TriplEQ with just a 4db bell curve reduction at 180 Bass parallel compressed to ReaComp Compressor 1.1 to 1 Ratio-
3.0ms Attack- 50ms Release- 3.0db Knee- lowpass 11,000hz-Highpass110hz- RMS Size 36.0- 100% Wet w/Automakeup.

It is loud in the headphones...I should probably find the middle ground before rendering....thanks for noticing that,

Thanks Lucas for checking it out

Cheers

KSmile
(22-02-2018, 12:28 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Thanks Lucas

Pretty simple Bass FX chain ,, Used BlueCat TriplEQ with just a 4db bell curve reduction at 180 Bass parallel compressed to ReaComp Compressor 1.1 to 1 Ratio-
3.0ms Attack- 50ms Release- 3.0db Knee- lowpass 11,000hz-Highpass110hz- RMS Size 36.0- 100% Wet w/Automakeup.

It is loud in the headphones...I should probably find the middle ground before rendering....thanks for noticing that,

Cheers

KSmile

Interesting K. Just wondering whats your preference is with using triplEQ over ReaEQ. I can see it has mid side capabilities which could be useful.
I also found your Comp setting quite interesting also. I haven't tried a low ratio with the high RMS setting. How did you come about these setting? I'm guessing it would have a good leveling ability whist allowing the bass detail to be dialled in. I'm going to have to experiment with these settings myself. I'm intrigued.
(23-02-2018, 11:55 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(22-02-2018, 12:28 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Thanks Lucas

Cheers

KSmile

Interesting K. Just wondering whats your preference is with using triplEQ over ReaEQ. I can see it has mid side capabilities which could be useful.
I also found your Comp setting quite interesting also. I haven't tried a low ratio with the high RMS setting. How did you come about these setting? I'm guessing it would have a good leveling ability whist allowing the bass detail to be dialled in. I'm going to have to experiment with these settings myself. I'm intrigued.

Hi Dave

I use ReaEQ quite a bit .. when I need to just pull down or push up one specific range I just got used to using the Black CatEQ . As far as the Comp setting , that was a mistake, that's one of my master buss presets that Ill use sometimes elsewhere with a 4 or 6 to1 ratio, I forgot to change the setting. seemed to have worked out ok..lol I may try it again on a bass track.Tongue

Cheers

KSmile