Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Stop And Rise'
Ahhh, More DI guitar tracks to play with. So more fun re amping, mic-ing up and recording. As a blues guitarist I did find it challenging getting enough drive for a song like this with my gear, but found using my smallest amp gave the best result. It actually takes quite a lot of time going through the whole process to get a signal recorded back into the daw with all those tracks, but all in good fun. If nothing else, this made me quite committed to the captured sound, for better or worse.
Another great track from Perpetual Escape. With a well thought out arrangement, this was an enjoyable track to work with. I was quite amazed how quickly the mix seemed to assemble itself with very little effort. I also found very little need for automation generally which was nice for a change.

Thanks for listeningBig Grin

Update 19-02-18 "GtrUp" track added. Hotter Guitars in this version.

Update 23-02-18 Mix#3 added. Corrected some of the previous issues including de-essing. Also made the mix a little more intense overall (experimental). I also tried to make the guitars levels more consistent when moving from stereo to mono using some mid side eq adjustments.

Update 4-03-18 Mix#4 added. Final version, a little more "spit and polish" mainly with balance.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Dangerous_GtrUp.mp3 --  (Download: 9.33 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Dangerous#4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.43 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.27 MB)

Hi Dave

Cool Mix, sounds great in the headphones.

Cheers!
kSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(12-02-2018, 01:32 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

Cool Mix, sounds great in the headphones.

Cheers!
kSmile

Thanks k, very much appreciated Big Grin
Hi Dave Gtr up mix sounds better just some esses on vocal well done.
Hi Dave

Sounds great!!

I don't think you had the equipment pic there the last time i was here.
Nice nice nice!! Where did you get the pip squeaks? They look interesting, Being an equipment junky I'm fascinated in a lot of the new boutique amps and this one I've never seen.

My first amp was an old deluxe reverb and an Encore/Teisco ES335 style guitar..lol..it was a beast. I played a gig last month and mic'ed a 3 watt Blackstar Fly through the board and people couldn't believe the sound I was getting..lol..talk about compact, put the fly in a bag, grabbed my Les Paul and off I went. Easy load in and out..lol
I could talk all day about equiptment! and MixingBig Grin

Good Job!!

Cheers

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(20-02-2018, 05:40 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave Gtr up mix sounds better just some esses on vocal well done.

Hey Cudjoe. Thanks Mate. Big Grin

You know, my wife mentioned the esses and I told her she was just hearing thingssss.Undecided Looks like I might have to addressss them in a follow up mix.

Cheers
(20-02-2018, 07:32 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

Sounds great!!

I don't think you had the equipment pic there the last time i was here.
Nice nice nice!! Where did you get the pip squeaks? They look interesting, Being an equipment junky I'm fascinated in a lot of the new boutique amps and this one I've never seen.

My first amp was an old deluxe reverb and an Encore/Teisco ES335 style guitar..lol..it was a beast. I played a gig last month and mic'ed a 3 watt Blackstar Fly through the board and people couldn't believe the sound I was getting..lol..talk about compact, put the fly in a bag, grabbed my Les Paul and off I went. Easy load in and out..lol
I could talk all day about equiptment! and MixingBig Grin

Good Job!!

Cheers

KSmile

Hi K.

Yes, I had the photo on my phone and thought I would put it up for interest sake with my second mix.

The 2 PipSqueaks are a couple of amps I made a couple of years back. A bit of a winter time hobby of mine out in the shed. I try to make 1 or 2 a year. They are tiny at just 2.5W out using a 6M5 output valve/tube which I think was only manufactured here in Australia back in the day. Fitted with a 4"x6" speaker, they are great fun to play through and really bark up in a nice way, probably just like the Fly.

My first Amp was a Musicman 112HD which I still have. Great gigging amp but so loud. For size I've never heard another amp top it. No miking this baby through the console. LOL For this reason she doesn't get too much use these days.

I'm with you on gear and mixing, I don't think I will ever have enough guitars, amps, pedals, microphones.... etc. And as for rambling on about all this stuff.... Don't get me startedBig Grin

Glad you enjoyed K

Cheers

Listened to the "gtr up" one, great mix!!

Superb drums and guitars.
I'm only missing a little more of the bass, and the voices sound a bit thin, a little hyped around the 7k-10k area to me. Probably that's why the esses are coming forward so much.

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(21-02-2018, 10:45 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(20-02-2018, 05:40 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave Gtr up mix sounds better just some esses on vocal well done.

Hey Cudjoe. Thanks Mate. Big Grin

You know, my wife mentioned the esses and I told her she was just hearing thingssss.Undecided Looks like I might have to addressss them in a follow up mix.

Cheers
You should always listen to your mississss lol.
(21-02-2018, 04:54 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Listened to the "gtr up" one, great mix!!

Superb drums and guitars.
I'm only missing a little more of the bass, and the voices sound a bit thin, a little hyped around the 7k-10k area to me. Probably that's why the esses are coming forward so much.

Thanks Simon,

Hopefully I have made some improvements on some of these issues. As for the bass, I probably didn't give it enough thought when I was initially arranging the the sections. Maybe too much emphasis on the guitars overall, I can't help myself.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave