Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy Fascination - my version
Your comments welcomed.

.mp3    AlJames_SchoolboyFascination_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I've been listening to that first mix in the car and on every system available to me for 3 weeks. That one synthesizer part at the beginning is shrill, enough to want to cover my ears. Right off the bat, a 7.5dB cut at 1.16kHz on that. Then there's the cumulative effect of every track that had anything at or above 6kHz; just too sharp, even painful. So more EQ cuts across the board there. The effect actually lowered the peaks about a full 1.5dBs, allowing the bass, kick and snare drums to be raised and give some body to the song. Lastly, I added a gymnasium reverb to place the sound stage. A tiny bit more of the same reverb was added at mastering. The final major modification was using the NI Passive EQ in Mid-Side mode to widen the product. My initial thought was to delete my first mix when I put this one up, but its left there for comparison purposes. I hope you find this mix less painful and more enjoyable.

.mp3    AlJames_SchoolboyFascination_Mix4_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I removed the mastering reverb and lowered the reverb in the mix, among other EQ and balance changes. Automation was placed on various backing vocals to move them forward and back as needed to better match the reference track.

.mp3    AlJames_SchoolboyFascination_Mix6_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

Peace,
Dave
An update is needed here

.mp3    AlJames_Schoolboy_Fascination_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.83 MB)

Peace,
Dave