Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cog In The Machine - Stoman mix
Nice song! Smile

Regards,
Steffen

.mp3    Cog_In_The_Machine_20130622_01_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.18 MB)

I think you probably have a very nice sounding mix here, but I wonder if the mp3 is ok, as there's quite much noise in it and quite a heavy compression. Balance seems to be ok, but vocals seem to be quite dark. I wonder if those are just mp3 compression issues.

BTW, You should post the mp3 to this thread, not just a link. (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...d=15#pid15) Otherwise your thread can be deleted from here.
Thanks, Olli, I just noticed that there is an attachment feature. Smile

The mix sounds ok here. It is indeed a little dark, but that's how I wanted it to sound. I did this mix two months ago and listened again today. Usually I find things to tweak when I listen back after a couple of weeks, but in this case I don't want to tweak anything.

There is some light parallel compression on the drums and bass to add more impact to them, and the sum has been compressed too. This was my vision of the song, not a technical mistake. Wink The song still has a nice dynamic range (roundabout DR12).

I wanted to make the song a little punchier/more powerful. May not be everybody's taste - it usually isn't mine either, but for this song it works pretty well IMO.

Regards,
Steffen

I wonder if the whitenoise comes from the stage mic. To me it sounds quite loud.
Something bothers me still with the vocals. Guitar and brushes are a nice stereo pair, but when vocals start, it feels as if it's under a carpet or something. Somehow I feel that the guitar and brusher in the beginning of the song establish the crispness level of the song, but vocals at 0:20 comes from an other world. (This may be totally a question of personal taste)
BTW,I normally listen on a quite low level.