Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perpetual Escape 'Stop And Rise' MikeGoPro Quick Mix
Hey guys,

Here's a mix I did this morning. I didn't automate anything yet, so it's a static mix. But the files seemed pretty solid from the start, so I didn't do much processing. On this mix I went for a top down approach, so I put an eq and compressor on each bus. And after grouping the tracks to busses, and panning the DTs, I also reamped the DIs, Then added a processor here or there on the inserts as needed. It feels like it's off to a decent start so far.

Cheers

Just added an updated version with adjusted levels on some parts that weren't present enough. Nothing major just a 5-10 minute tweak.

Cheers!

Okay I'm done shoveling/snowplowing, and here's a more rock centric version of this cool song.

Later!

I just added an alternate rock version with a different compression set up. For some reason some plug-ins are causing my render times to at least triple(denormalizing bug probably, because even with no audio passing through them they spike at 18% cpu) so I'm testing out some different configurations. Because it's all about the workflow after all. Big Grin

Cheers!

.mp3    PerpetualEscape StopAndRise MikeGoPro Quick Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.56 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape StopAndRiseMikeGoPro Updated Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.56 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape StopAndRiseMikeGoPro More Rock Version.mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape StopAndRiseMikeGoPro More Rock Version Alt Compression.mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

sounds like you still need to work on balancing things in the tracks. a lot of stuff seems to be buried in the mix.
(07-02-2018, 08:53 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: sounds like you still need to work on balancing things in the tracks. a lot of stuff seems to be buried in the mix.

Hey axxessdenied,

Thanks for commenting, Yeah I did a quick and dirty mix, didn't spend much time on it to be honest. But yeah I think with the top down approach(mixing into the busses), I didn't bring some of the faders up enough i.e. the BKGVKs, the Electric Guitars, and the Slide to name a few. I just did a quick tweak maybe 5-10 minutes, I think it's more appropriate now.

Cheers!
Hi! Nice smooth sound. It sounds slightly 'vocal heavy'. Perhaps a bit more distortion for the guitars? I like the fatty splatty overall sound. Initially I was tempted with the Americana style intro, but it turned out to be a pretty standard heavy/rock song, so you could just play safe and tweak it into that direction. ^_^
Hi Mike ,
Great job for a quick mix just needs some fine tuning !
Having a listen the updated version I like the drums can hear one of the room tracks popping out around the 500-600 hz area.
The Lead vocals have a slight lisp which could be caused over by de-essing a touch it's a fine line ?

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-02-2018, 04:05 AM)kapu Wrote: Hi! Nice smooth sound. It sounds slightly 'vocal heavy'. Perhaps a bit more distortion for the guitars? I like the fatty splatty overall sound. Initially I was tempted with the Americana style intro, but it turned out to be a pretty standard heavy/rock song, so you could just play safe and tweak it into that direction. ^_^

Hey Kapu,
Thanks for the insight about the genre specific tweaks I could try in order to bring it together. I had a feeling that the guitars needed a little more distortion as well. I think I have to automate the vocals a bit and, or parallel compress them.

Later!
(08-02-2018, 08:53 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Mike ,
Great job for a quick mix just needs some fine tuning !
Having a listen the updated version I like the drums can hear one of the room tracks popping out around the 500-600 hz area.
The Lead vocals have a slight lisp which could be caused over by de-essing a touch it's a fine line ?

Cheers Big Grin

What's up thedon,
Thanks for listening and commenting. I'll check the drums and see/hear what's poking out and address that. I think the lead vocals need to be a little more intelligible, so I might have to try something different(i.e. manual editing, ease up on the de-essing, parallel compression) to get healthy levels, and at the same time minimize the artifacts, like lisping.

Cheers!
Yeah, I am gonna drop the de-esser in my mix and just manually edit the vox. I think thats the way to go to be able to process them with compression accordingly.

Hey Mike ! Thank you for mixing our music Smile

To me your main resting work should be focused on your volume balance. Vocals are SUPER loud (yet they sound pretty good, maybe some hi end you can cut a tad ?) and the main rhythm guitars are very distant and not powerful enough.
If you listen to the other songs we provided you will notice that we usually use heavy guitar tones.

During the last part it is obvious you did not reamp or use amp sims on the guitar DIs. Besides some FX guitars, all are provided as DIs so get your best rock tones for this song Smile

Cheers
(09-02-2018, 07:08 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey Mike ! Thank you for mixing our music Smile

To me your main resting work should be focused on your volume balance. Vocals are SUPER loud (yet they sound pretty good, maybe some hi end you can cut a tad ?) and the main rhythm guitars are very distant and not powerful enough.
If you listen to the other songs we provided you will notice that we usually use heavy guitar tones.

During the last part it is obvious you did not reamp or use amp sims on the guitar DIs. Besides some FX guitars, all are provided as DIs so get your best rock tones for this song Smile

Cheers

Hey Mandubien, first thanks for making the song and allowing us to mix it, and secondly thanks for having a listen to my mix. I just did some quick adjustments with the re-amping of the guitars to make them sound more like rock and roll. I also adjusted some compression settings on the vox and the master bus, I'll be uploading it soon but I have to go shovel some snow first. Big Grin

Cheers!