Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: 'Wealthy In Time' (critiques plz)
Hey all,

my mix and master. Hoping for some comments.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    Woodfire - Wealthy in Time_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.07 MB)

Sounds great! I just posted my version so I thought I should comment on someone elses heh Smile Your version feels more dry and upfront than mine, with louder drums. Just a matter of taste of course, I guess your version would draw more attention to itself and maybe sounds more modern/in your face. What kinds of reverbs did you use? (If any Smile ) Also I like how you made the kick drum very boomy yet tight sounding somehow. I mean it's obviously not "clicky" as it wasn't recorded that way, but it still cuts through yet retains lots and lots of body. Did you use any samples or is this just the drum sounds we were given?
Hey Josef,

I think I didn't really use any reverbs only delay on the vocal.
Maybe I used some room verb but I dont remember xD

Regarding the Kick (no samples!), but I did some pretty agressive high-end EQ and a little bit of transient processing to get it to cut through the mix. I also compressed pretty heavily with a distressor style compressor but with a slow-enough attack to let some transient through. (it's free: "ModernDeathcore").
Then used bx_subfilter (its free!) after the compressor (so the bottom end doesnt fight the comp) to get a boomy fat low-end and just mixed it in about 20% wet.
The last plugin is GClip which softly clips the very loud transients, just to be save.
Also put a ducking compressor on the bass track with the kick side-chained to it so every time the kick hits the bass ducks for roughly 3-6db.

I exclusively use free or reapers stock plugins and it sounds pretty good I'd say. What do you think?

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hi Lukas

Great bass and drums, right off the bat!!

Great sound on the guitar!!! If it was me I'd pan it a little out of the way, give it some spring verb to the opposite side.... it's a stylistic choice though, yours sounds really great and it gives the garage character the song deserves.

The resonance on the kick is nice and it works well, but I'd take it back a little. Maybe a little (lot) more distortion on the vocals too?

All in all, seriously good mix this one, great job.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi Lucas

Solid Mix!! Drums sound great!!

Good Job!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.