Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop and Rise Mix
Here's my initial mix of the track, I didn't use a limiter on the master buss or any other processing on the master buss so you may need to crank it up abit. Mixwise I used the stock drum sounds and used a combination of Waves GTR and Bias for the guitars, the bass is a blend of the DI and the Amp signals and I ran the DI through a bass amp in Waves GTR with a pitch shifter blended in for some more synthy low end.

Update: I forgot about adding the SFX tracks Blush so I just added them

Update 2 Electric Boogaloo!: I've added 2 more mixes and deleted the first mix without the SFX (Mix 1 With SFX is literally the first mix but with the SFX, no real point in leaving it there). Mix 2 changes up the tone to a more gain heavy tone in the choruses and fixes up some other things level wise, mix 3 is based on mix 2 but I added some automation to the rhythm guitars and bass to change up the mix a touch.

Update 3: I've uploaded a mastered version of mix 3, I've also boosted the vocals a touch in this version and cleaned up the low end during mastering.

Final Update: I went back and changed up my snare to give it less of the sizzle of the snare

.mp3    Stop and Rise Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.65 MB)

.mp3    Stop and Rise Mix 1 SFX Added.mp3 --  (Download: 9.65 MB)

.mp3    Stop and Rise Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.65 MB)

.mp3    Stop and Rise Mastered Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

.mp3    Stop and Rise Mastered Mix 1 Snare Fix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Forgot to add the SFX to the mix so I just uploaded the same mix but with the SFX added in Blush
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hey !

Quite funny to hear a totally different version from mine. You went pretty light on the guitar distortion most of the time but it works pretty nicely. On the second part of the second verse, you added nice distorted guitars to emphasize the vocals and that's very cool.

My only complain is that the chorus don't hit hard enough. I think the guitars could be turned up of few dBs. I love the final pat when the lead guitars drives the song. It pushes the song to a very pleasant end Smile

(03-02-2018, 12:26 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey !

Quite funny to hear a totally different version from mine. You went pretty light on the guitar distortion most of the time but it works pretty nicely. On the second part of the second verse, you added nice distorted guitars to emphasize the vocals and that's very cool.

My only complain is that the chorus don't hit hard enough. I think the guitars could be turned up of few dBs. I love the final pat when the lead guitars drives the song. It pushes the song to a very pleasant end Smile

Thanks man! From listening to the DI tracks in the verses and choruses it didn't seem that your guitarist was really slamming them out, for me it didn't seem like there was much point to gaining the crap out of the amp to give them that super saturated tone, that way when he started digging in on the second verse and the bridge where he starts hitting the strings hard and playing heavier stuff I could switch to a more aggressive tone and have it punch though (in a way it's my take on Ramble On by Led Zeppelin, but with more gain! Big Grin).

I definitely agree that the chorus guitars need to be pushed up, I'm probably going to give them a bit more gain as well to differentiate them from the verses a bit more, oddly enough I did layer up the chorus guitars with a fuzz tone which is why they have that upper mid bump to them. Also if you're wondering about the lead tone at the end, that's Waves GTR on the "Plexitron" model with some slight Delay and Reverb.

Cheers,
Doug

I've made some changes to the mix and posted 2 more in the OP

Hi Doug ,
Listening to version 3 ,love your mix it sounds great on my monitors when you decide to master it maybe roll off or tame some bottom end 40 hz and below .

Well Done !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

mix 3 sounds really good. if you up main vocals a little bit migth be better.
(04-02-2018, 06:53 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Doug ,
Listening to version 3 ,love your mix it sounds great on my monitors when you decide to master it maybe roll off or tame some bottom end 40 hz and below .

Well Done !

Thanks Don! I ended up putting a Highpass on the bass to clear up the low end abit and also high passing some backups and raining them in with some compression.

Hi! Listened version 3. Sounds very careful and detailed work. The snare has a little papery 'swish' which sounds a bit off. Still, very good sound. Good separation and use of effects etc. Great work! ^_^
Uploaded a new mix with a more smacky sounding snare, still it has a fair bit of sizzle to it but I really don't want to replace the snare with another sample and have to change the rest of the kit.