Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tall Heights: 'Spirit Cold'
Thought this one would be best left quiet and musical. It's nice to leave the compressors in the cupboard sometimes. Quite an engaging piece of music.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

.mp3    TallHeights_SpiritCold_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

Hi Dave

Well done!, I really enjoyed your mix, you captured the cello tone nicely, The dryer vocals worked great, kind of gave it a haunting vibe.
nice balance and dynamics.

Good work!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(02-02-2018, 12:42 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

Well done!, I really enjoyed your mix, you captured the cello tone nicely, The dryer vocals worked great, kind of gave it a haunting vibe.
nice balance and dynamics.

Good work!

Cheers

KSmile

Thanks K, I'm please you enjoyed it. I still might bring the vocals up a dB in my next pass. We'll see.

Cheers
Lovely Spacious Mix Dave ,personal taste the vocals sound a touch too dry in the context of the mix probably I'm expecting some effects after listening to other mixes Blush

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-02-2018, 04:07 AM)thedon Wrote: Lovely Spacious Mix Dave ,personal taste the vocals sound a touch too dry in the context of the mix probably I'm expecting some effects after listening to other mixes Blush

Cheers Big Grin

Yeah, you could be right Don, although I did mix it as a live recording, trying to keep it sounding that way. I don't think it's the vision the artist had for the song though.Tongue
Hi Dangerous,

I Really enjoyed your mix, wasn't sure about the guitar at the beginning, but later it evolves nicely with the song. Just some sibilants poking out on that section, and later at some points.

I went for a totally different mix, with more emphasis on creating a big, almost unnatural space, but I really liked your dryer approach. You controlled the tone of the voices really good along the song, and every instrument has its space to shine.

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Nicely done Dave!

I don't have a problem with the dryness of your vox, but I think there is some phase thing happening with the room mics and the vocals. There's a level that can sound boxy when the vocals are hitting their loudest sections. Also maybe pulling a little bit of 300 out of the rooms could give a little cleaner feel to the vocals. Or put a dynamic eq on the room and voc tracks, focusing around 300.

I do love the movement and energy changes throughout the song! Beautiful work!

Draper
(08-03-2018, 05:55 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi Dangerous,

I Really enjoyed your mix, wasn't sure about the guitar at the beginning, but later it evolves nicely with the song. Just some sibilants poking out on that section, and later at some points.

I went for a totally different mix, with more emphasis on creating a big, almost unnatural space, but I really liked your dryer approach. You controlled the tone of the voices really good along the song, and every instrument has its space to shine.

Thanks OctOFire,

I had lots of sibilant issues of late, so have adjusted the high shelf on my monitors so I can hopefully pickup on them more. Heres Hoping.

Cheers