Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood To Bone
Thanks for the listen and any input.

.mp3    Blood To Bone.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    Blood To Bone Final.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Nice mix , the guitar I could come down in the upper mid !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(03-08-2013, 09:34 PM)thedon Wrote: Nice mix , the guitar I could come down in the upper mid !

Thanks Don. I'll probably tone it down a bit in my final mix
Hi,

just some thoughts while I'm listening to your mix:

I do not really like the kick's sound. Now that is to big parts the problem of the raw kicktrack, which does not sound especially pretty to begin with. But I wonder if a different tonal shaping would help in this regard during the intro/verses. It seems to work during the chorus, though.

The snare sounds a bit too flat/papery. Again, that is a source problem, but perhaps you can work on it?

The guitars sound rather hollow and indirect to me, I miss a bit of warmth and energy. I know that it is there, but it is hidden in the phase issue that this guitar tracks happen to be delivered with.

The balance sounds rather good, though. I like the vocals.

Cheers
Artbass
(04-08-2013, 07:43 AM)Artbass Wrote: Hi,

just some thoughts while I'm listening to your mix:

I do not really like the kick's sound. Now that is to big parts the problem of the raw kicktrack, which does not sound especially pretty to begin with. But I wonder if a different tonal shaping would help in this regard during the intro/verses. It seems to work during the chorus, though.

The snare sounds a bit too flat/papery. Again, that is a source problem, but perhaps you can work on it?

The guitars sound rather hollow and indirect to me, I miss a bit of warmth and energy. I know that it is there, but it is hidden in the phase issue that this guitar tracks happen to be delivered with.

The balance sounds rather good, though. I like the vocals.

Cheers
Artbass

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate this track and for the excellent input. Eq is the area I need the most work on I believe so this is helpful. I will spend some time trying to implement your suggestions Smile
Here's the re-mix.

.mp3    Blood To Bone 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

Eq is one of the hardest things to master in mixing.
(04-08-2013, 07:09 PM)takka360 Wrote: Eq is one of the hardest things to master in mixing.

I agree.
(03-08-2013, 12:19 AM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks for the listen and any input.

I agree with Artbass, the kick sounds much better in the chorus section than in between.
Overheads seem too low. Which in my opinion makes the whole mix sound too low in the higher frequencies.
The snare need something more. It's too dry/boxy. (I also struggled a great deal with it)
The guitars sound as if they have that "telephone" effect on them.
Something I tried to get rid of in my mix, but proved to be an EQ-CHALLENGE!!!

I like your creativity with the vocals and overall the balance between everything is not bad.
With this track the guitars, bass and snare seems most challenging.
If you can get them "fixed". Your mix should sound great!
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(12-11-2013, 10:46 AM)Gerrit Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 12:19 AM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks for the listen and any input.

I agree with Artbass, the kick sounds much better in the chorus section than in between.
Overheads seem too low. Which in my opinion makes the whole mix sound too low in the higher frequencies.
The snare need something more. It's too dry/boxy. (I also struggled a great deal with it)
The guitars sound as if they have that "telephone" effect on them.
Something I tried to get rid of in my mix, but proved to be an EQ-CHALLENGE!!!

I like your creativity with the vocals and overall the balance between everything is not bad.
With this track the guitars, bass and snare seems most challenging.
If you can get them "fixed". Your mix should sound great!

Thanks for the suggestions, Gerrit. I will go back and see if I can improve these areas.