Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tall Heights 'Spirit Cold' MikeGoPro Mix
Either it's cold in here or this song gives me chills, and I haven't fully listened to all the lyrics yet. Some songs inspire you while you work on it, this is one of those songs. This is a relatively quick mix no automation, minimal processing considering the amount of bleed/leak into the microphone array. But regardless what a well crafted song.

Cheers!

I decided to add a quick revision. After listening back to the mix with some perspective, it seems to be a little harsh in the upper frequencies. And also the idea of making the acoustic guitar more present was suggested by Dangerous. So I tried a few things and made some adjustments to make the mix sound more appropriate for the genre, I hope. Its' probably not better, or worse but it's different. Big Grin

Later!

.mp3    Tall Heights - Spirit Cold MikeGoPro Quick Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

.mp3    Tall Heights - Spirit Cold MikeGoPro Quick Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

.mp3    Tall Heights - Spirit Cold MikeGoPro Quick Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

Hey Mike

Nice Mix! Vocals sound great, Nice Balance. Good Job.

I agree this song is beautiful and kinda haunting, it really doesn't need much processing,

Thanks for the catch on mine, I fixed, did a little tweaking and reposted it. Tough getting old .. LMAO

Cheers!!

KBig Grin
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Mike,

Nicely managed mix. Great work with soft touch to the vocals. Very tasteful. Just missed the guitar part through the build of the song that was a bit buried. Otherwise sweet! Well done.

Dave
(02-02-2018, 11:50 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey Mike,

Nicely managed mix. Great work with soft touch to the vocals. Very tasteful. Just missed the guitar part through the build of the song that was a bit buried. Otherwise sweet! Well done.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for commenting, I listened to it again and I think the guitar is somewhat buried, so I decided to pan it off to the side. At first I didn't want to do that because I was concerned with the amount of bleed in the mic but I tried it, and I think it helps a little. What do you think?

Later!
(03-02-2018, 03:01 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Hey Dave,

Thanks for commenting, I listened to it again and I think the guitar is somewhat buried, so I decided to pan it off to the side. At first I didn't want to do that because I was concerned with the amount of bleed in the mic but I tried it, and I think it helps a little. What do you think?

Later!

It's much better Mike, but I still think there are passages where you can push it a little harder, without disturbing the mood. Maybe balance the guitar whist listening in mono. This might be a good way to tackle it perhaps. It's a nice mix either way. Smile

[/quote]

It's much better Mike, but I still think there are passages where you can push it a little harder, without disturbing the mood. Maybe balance the guitar whist listening in mono. This might be a good way to tackle it perhaps. It's a nice mix either way. Smile
[/quote]

Hey Dangerous, thanks for the insight, I often listen in mono as I mix to check for phase coherence, and frequency balance. As soon as I get a chance I will definitely take into consideration your advice during the revision. I think I actually get a kick out of doing revisions because if you mix for other people it's something you need to get use to. That's why I've started to mix the rough quickly and get an idea what direction to head in.

As they say, art is never finished, only abandoned. Big Grin

Later!
Listening to version 3 sounds lovely on my monitors !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-02-2018, 03:56 AM)thedon Wrote: Listening to version 3 sounds lovely on my monitors !

Cheers Big Grin

Hey thedon,

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for commenting, sorry for the late response, been busy lately and I've missed a few post.

Cheers! Wink