Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesu bleibe meine freude Voelund mix
That oboe is hard to kill ...
Eq´d a little and used a combination of long and short hall from LXP1 and an old digitech dsp 128. Only one spot were lightly compressed and hit the limiter with maybe 1 dB. I listen to other attempts at this and my mix doesnt separate as well as others, specially the voices are a little behind. Still I like the blend and illusion I get of listenin to a concert.
And I had fun doin it :-)

.mp3    Jesu bleibet meine freude a.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Sounds nice ,might try this one !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Im sure you will make a killer mix :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice and natural space. Good adn smooth frequency balance.

I think the overall sound is very nice, but something in that oboe sound bothers me. It has quite much the midrange (maybe 1-2K) info that gives unpleasent pressure to ears, if I listen at higher levels.

Other thing is the panning of cembalo. It's panned to left but there's no balancing instrument on right. But I think that's only a problem if I listen with headphones. If I listen with speakers it don't bother me at all.
Thank you Olli H. I must admit I did this pretty fast and as you notice couldnt make the oboe fit and gave up on it :-)
I have recorded some classical things many years ago on 2 and 4 track tape machines and one thing that come to mind is that this recordin, as mentioned in the notes, suffer from another placement of the band than intended from the microphone placement. The few recordins Ive tried just sounded good on its own, due to very good mics I borrowed at the time, and the fact that in those days eq and compression were nonexistent in my setup ... Actually you can do a lot with the volume knobs and mic placement :-)
But I admit I gave up on this. gonna listen to what you came up with.
Very nice. You've motivated me to give this one a try.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Ouch I must admit I were bein way too fast when I mixed this. The stereo overheads were mono ... the m/s I used for mono but ditched in this version. I played around with eq, Mike suggests a fair cut of 1.5 kilo on the overheads and well Im not gonna tell exactly what i did unless someone asks, but this is the result. I like it better, more warm i think and the balance and strings are better. but the oboe ...

.mp3    Jesu bleibe meine freu 00 l.mp3 --  (Download: 4.47 MB)

(03-09-2013, 06:21 PM)bmullen Wrote: Very nice. You've motivated me to give this one a try.

Glad you got inspired, and sure you will make a great mix !
I like the warmer tone you gave to this one.
Thank you - I like that you like it :-)