Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Carousel Ride-Final Mix
[b]Cool Song, Fun to mix!

Comments Welcome

Cheers

OK Final mix of this cool tune-03.mpg

The more I listened to Rubberbuckets official release of this song on youtube I felt this version was so different, more of what they would perform live, but Kalmia Traver's voice is so friggin cool. She sings with so much physical emotion, awesome to watch. These tracks seem to be one of the first shots at carousel ride they recorded. Their new stuff is very airy popy and lots more effects. Check out their new release What Life Is.

So I juiced it up with some big reverbs, yes long ones at the beginning to fill it. and delays, chorus, filters, Haas fx the acoustic.. brought the background down and Kalmia's voice up, maybe a bit too much, but that's ok. Seemed to translate pretty good on monitors, TV speakers and mp3 player
Cheers
K

.mp3    Carousel Ride fixed.mp3 --  (Download: 10.99 MB)

.mp3    Rubber Bucket-Carousel Ride-03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.44 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(20-01-2018, 12:41 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Cool Song, Fun to mix!

Comments Welcome

Cheers

KBig Grin

This is an interesting approach, did you pitch shift/slow down the tempo on purpose? If so, it does makes it more dramatic.

By the way I updated my version, its in the 3rd post.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=21482

Later!

Thanks for the catch Mike,,,I didn't see a read me file and worked on it at 44 instead of 48 .. have another listen, I swapped them out.

Braindead..lol

KBig Grin
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I put up a new mix

check it out

thanks
Ha, saying this was fun to mix means you have some composure, K. Or at least you must not work too much on soloed tracks, because trying to get some consistence out of that shaky vocal was making me bat$%&t crazy!

Overall, I prefer v1 despite reverb being a little too much but that should be as easy as making it a little shorter and playing with a HC until it is less noticeable, but still there. Shaker might be sending too much to it, besides being a tap too loud. I picture this song kinda played in a highschool gym? (you know, where kids play basketball). It also reminds me of Blur's "Tender" (similar percussion setup), so I love it being spacey and echoey, just a little less. Kickdrum and rimshot sound very natural and 3d. Guitar and trumpet feel just right. Overall, it feels more lively and exciting.

On the other hand, v2 may do a better job on the verses, with a more intimate and humble soundscape and more of the oooh vocals, so you could try to merge both approaches, but I'd rather put some work taking things away off v1 than trying to add to v2 which just feels a little demoish in comparison.
(17-07-2018, 10:28 AM)Deliza Wrote: Ha, saying this was fun to mix means you have some composure, K. Or at least you must not work too much on soloed tracks, because trying to get some consistence out of that shaky vocal was making me bat$%&t crazy!

Overall, I prefer v1 despite reverb being a little too much but that should be as easy as making it a little shorter and playing with a HC until it is less noticeable, but still there. Shaker might be sending too much to it, besides being a tap too loud. I picture this song kinda played in a highschool gym? (you know, where kids play basketball). It also reminds me of Blur's "Tender" (similar percussion setup), so I love it being spacey and echoey, just a little less. Kickdrum and rimshot sound very natural and 3d. Guitar and trumpet feel just right. Overall, it feels more lively and exciting.

On the other hand, v2 may do a better job on the verses, with a more intimate and humble soundscape and more of the oooh vocals, so you could try to merge both approaches, but I'd rather put some work taking things away off v1 than trying to add to v2 which just feels a little demoish in comparison.

Hi Deliza

Another one I forget about and that needs a revisit. LOL on the shaky vocal.. I don't usually work on tracks solo'd for any amount of time, usually work on it inside the mix. but not always
Ill try what your saying on the next go around on this one.
Thanks for taking the time to analyze it .. very helpful.
Cheers
KSmile

Final Mix onboard

Comments welcome