Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fever Retro Lo Fi Mix
I got a sortof Fallout 3/Film Noir vibe out of this track so I ended up mixing this mono with Izotope Vinyl on my master bus, and a mono Reverb to add the atmosphere. I didn't do too much to the vocals aside from some fader automation and a little eq from Waves Scheps 73 with a touch of drive on it for a little extra grit on the louder bits. I've also included a mix without the Lo Fi added but, it still has some of the distortion of the Scheps plugin, the mono reverb but it's pulled back a bit, and the same tape saturation as the first mix dialed in to account for a level change from the Lo Fi version. I've also level matched the "Gritty" version of the mix to the lo Fi version to have a more fair comparison between the two.

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Fever Retro Lo Fi Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.99 MB)

.mp3    Fever Gritty Mix Level Matched.mp3 --  (Download: 9.02 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(17-01-2018, 07:24 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: I got a sortof Fallout 3/Film Noir vibe out of this track so I ended up mixing this mono with Izotope Vinyl on my master bus, and a mono Reverb to add the atmosphere.

Hah -- I really like this! I love old 20s and 30s recordings, and there's actually a lot in common aesthetically with that era in this arrangement, so the idea of retro-ising it really makes sense to me, although I'd not have thought of doing it that way myself. Great creative call there! Good balancing throughout too -- never in any doubt as to what's the lead, but I'm not losing the rhythmic impetus of the accompaniment either, which is great. The reverb's also very tasteful, adding sustain and atmosphere, without obscuring the details or blurring the rhythms. Great work!