Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mirroman: 'Fever'
Hmmm, I wish I could sing like that! Oh well.Smile I can only imagine, it would be a fun song to perform casually as a duet with someone. I also love the lead change at the 3.10 min mark. It seems to give the track that little lift just at the right time. Very clever indeed.Big Grin

Thanks Mike.

Mix #2, A little more energy and clarity. Removed some mud as per Cudjoe's comments.

Mix #3, Removed the crazy sounding slapback effect and replaced it with a delayed room reverb. Also I've removed the "hiss" from the tape plugin setting I'm using and trimmed up the start and end. (Mike's critique)

.mp3    Mirroman_Fever_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

.mp3    Mirroman_Fever_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

.mp3    Mirroman_Fever_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.01 MB)

Nice balance but I can hear a bit of muddy listening through headphones maybe around 250-500 Hz, thanks for sharing your mix.
(15-01-2018, 08:05 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Nice balance but I can hear a bit of muddy listening through headphones maybe around 250-500 Hz, thanks for sharing your mix.

Good Call Cudjoe! Thanks for the comment.

Make sure you have a go at this one. Good fun and still quite challenging. I will keep my ears open for your mix.

Dave

Hi Dave i like the energy you,ve added in mix 2, i like it.
(11-01-2018, 12:13 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hmmm, I wish I could sing like that! Oh well.Smile I can only imagine, it would be a fun song to perform casually as a duet with someone.

Thanks! It's a kind of fun side-project that's been rolling around my head for a little while now, so who knows -- maybe once I've got a bit more repertoire arranged I might start trying to take it out live. It would be a load of fun, certainly. I can already see the choreography opportunities! Smile

As for the v2 mix, I the generally pretty dry presentation definitely appeals to my general sensibilities, as I love to hear all the little internal details of the vocal timbres. There seems to be some sensitive automation going on too, and I think you've done a better job of the balance at the point towards the end of the arrangement you noted where the lead role swaps -- I think I underbalanced it a bit in the preview mix. You'll have to forgive me being a bit too close to it to judge very clearly... Smile

One thing, though: it sounds like you're using some kind of chorus or ADT effect on there that's a bit too audible in its own right on sustained notes in particular. I did my best to keep the vocals sounding as natural as I could, because I wanted them to speak as directly as possible to the listener on a performance/emotional level, so the traces of that added effect add an unwelcome sense of artificiality for me. Clearly it's a question of mix vision here, though, so inevitably it's personal taste really, but I figured I'd share my perspective nonetheless in case it was useful.

Oh, and the background noise feels a bit obtrusive at the outset -- if it's the outcome of your EQ and compression, it might be worth doing a little automation to just fade it in a bit more gradually. It doesn't bother me once the song gets going properly.

Thanks for posting!
(22-01-2018, 11:06 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Thanks! It's a kind of fun side-project that's been rolling around my head for a little while now, so who knows -- maybe once I've got a bit more repertoire arranged I might start trying to take it out live. It would be a load of fun, certainly. I can already see the choreography opportunities! Smile

As for the v2 mix, I the generally pretty dry presentation definitely appeals to my general sensibilities, as I love to hear all the little internal details of the vocal timbres. There seems to be some sensitive automation going on too, and I think you've done a better job of the balance at the point towards the end of the arrangement you noted where the lead role swaps -- I think I underbalanced it a bit in the preview mix. You'll have to forgive me being a bit too close to it to judge very clearly... Smile

One thing, though: it sounds like you're using some kind of chorus or ADT effect on there that's a bit too audible in its own right on sustained notes in particular. I did my best to keep the vocals sounding as natural as I could, because I wanted them to speak as directly as possible to the listener on a performance/emotional level, so the traces of that added effect add an unwelcome sense of artificiality for me. Clearly it's a question of mix vision here, though, so inevitably it's personal taste really, but I figured I'd share my perspective nonetheless in case it was useful.

Oh, and the background noise feels a bit obtrusive at the outset -- if it's the outcome of your EQ and compression, it might be worth doing a little automation to just fade it in a bit more gradually. It doesn't bother me once the song gets going properly.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks Mike,

You don't realise just how challenging the human voice is until you have to work with it as a solo performance without reinforcement from an accompaniment.

I'm not sure what i did with the chorusing effect, I think it maybe some slapback delay or something similar. Doe's make it sound a bit strange especially through headphones.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Very much appreciated and valued. Big Grin

Dave