Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unicorn Radio - Maybe [mydogboris mix]
I thought this one was a bit of a challenge. Had to tune vocals quite a bit and sort out the drums. The toms had samples but not consistently and hi hat and ride seemed to be on same side of overheads. Also, there was so much leakage in the mics that you really had to pay attention to the toms and stereo placement. I also struggled with the bass quite a bit. As a result, I am not 100% satisfied with the low end yet but I'd be curious to hear what others think. I heard sort of an epic modern hard rock sound so I featured the guitars as much as I could, without stomping on the vocals. Still working on the EQ for the guitars so they don't all take up the same place in the frequency spectrum.

.mp3    Maybe (Mix RC-9).mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

(05-01-2018, 05:59 AM)mydogboris Wrote: hi hat and ride seemed to be on same side of overheads.

Yes, because they are Smile
Andi is a left-handed drummer, but plays a right-handed setup except for the ride cymbal. It´s literally on top of the hi-hat, its edge is just half an inch away from the hi-hat top´s bell.

I am a little confused about the vocal tuning. You definitely changed a lot of notes, in the chorus you shifted the melody line to a different key, which sounds kinda off to me.
What you also need to keep in mind is the singer´s intention: I´m pretty sure she would not be happy with such drastic changes to her melody line when the recorded melody is the one we all agreed on.

The low-end is quite a mess indeed. It´s cool to have a boomy kickdrum for the intro, I did the same. When the bass begins to play, it needs to be tamed though: the bass tone doesn´t have a lot of definition in the low-end anyway, so you gotta watch out in that area.
(We do have a different bass player now, just to clarify Tongue )

I think guitars are okay. I laid a lot more focus on them, and thus could almost leave them untouched. The original mix EQ is like 2.5k down a dB on one guitar, 4k on the other.

cheers
Michael / UR
(06-01-2018, 02:19 PM)Mr.Bongo Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 05:59 AM)mydogboris Wrote: hi hat and ride seemed to be on same side of overheads.

I am a little confused about the vocal tuning. You definitely changed a lot of notes, in the chorus you shifted the melody line to a different key, which sounds kinda off to me.
What you also need to keep in mind is the singer´s intention: I´m pretty sure she would not be happy with such drastic changes to her melody line when the recorded melody is the one we all agreed on.

The low-end is quite a mess indeed. It´s cool to have a boomy kickdrum for the intro, I did the same. When the bass begins to play, it needs to be tamed though: the bass tone doesn´t have a lot of definition in the low-end anyway, so you gotta watch out in that area.

cheers
Michael / UR

Thanks for the reply and thanks for clearing up the drummer setup. At least I know I am not going crazy! Different is cool. Overall, I hope I did the drums justice. As for the kick, I applied a lot of automation to pull the kick down at appropriate times, but perhaps I needed to be more drastic at certain points. I also introduced a bit of a trigger sample which may not have been the best choice...too boomy and not dynamic enough. I am also working with a new monitoring setup, with some high end mid-field monitors (10" dual concentric) along with new APS Klasik near fields. Of course, they sound tremendously different in the low end and I am still trying to learn to find the sweet spot between the two. In fact, I had so much trouble settling on the low end that I ended up mixing primarily on a set of Sennheiser HD600's with Sonarworks correction software. There are pluses and minuses to this approach. I am sure I will get better as I get used to my monitors.

As for the vocals, when I first listened to the track I almost decided not to mix it because of the vocals. But I decided to forge ahead b/c I liked the vibe and the genre and I really wanted to make this sound epic! So I simply decided to Melodyne the vocals, going as drastic as necessary but stopping short of sounding auto-tuned. If I moved a note or two to the incorrect spot, my apologies. Since this isn't a paying gig, I had limited time. :-) My intention was certainly not to change the melody line. I don't think I changed the "key" of the song though. The song appears to be in C minor and I generally snapped any questionable notes to that key (in both verses and choruses). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Again, thanks for taking the time to critique my mix. My goal is to get better and getting quality feedback, particularly from the band, is priceless.

Nice Work Smile,
The Kick could be a little more stronger, i guess it lacks some low midrange,
Cymbals resonates a lot, you should clean them out to unmask the tone.
Balance is really nice, guitars sound very well, Nice Work Smile
(09-01-2018, 05:43 PM)Lethan Wrote: Nice Work Smile,
The Kick could be a little more stronger, i guess it lacks some low midrange,
Cymbals resonates a lot, you should clean them out to unmask the tone.
Balance is really nice, guitars sound very well, Nice Work Smile

Thanks for listening and taking the time to provide constructive feedback. I'm moving on to work on another mix but I will keep this in mind going forward. Thanks again.