Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubblebucket 'Carousel Ride' MikeGoPro Mix
This is an interesting song, but it gave me some trouble with the mic bleed, but I gave it the good old college try.

Feel free to leave a comment

Cheers!

Edit: latest version in Post #3

.mp3    Rubblebucket Carousel Ride MikeGoPro Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

My first upload of this track was a bit rough, so I did some minor tweaks to try and smooth out the lumps and bumps. Made a few more automation moves to keep things in the pocket so to speak.

.mp3    Rubblebucket Carousel Ride MikeGoPro Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

Okay, I did more automation, more panning and, filtering to uncover some of the little hidden gems in this song that I was masking by being to heavy handed.

It's not perfect but I think I'm done for now.

Update: Okay I've been going through some of the mixes I've uploaded, and addressing some things that I felt needed to be ironed out.

I tried to smooth this one out so it wasn't so jumpy, for lack of better terms.

.mp3    Rubblebucket Carousel Ride MikeGoPro Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Rubblebucket Carousel Ride MikeGoPro Latest Updated Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

(08-01-2018, 11:21 AM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Okay, I did more automation, more panning and, filtering to uncover some of the little hidden gems in this song that I was masking by being to heavy handed.

It's not perfect but I think I'm done for now.

Update: Okay I've been going through some of the mixes I've uploaded, and addressing some things that I felt needed to be ironed out.

I tried to smooth this one out so it wasn't so jumpy, for lack of better terms.

So I updated this mix guys.

Feel free to leave a comment.
These mixes all vary quite a bit, but all seem to be suffering from the same thing. Listening to all these mixes, I'm get the feeling your having a real crack, but are coming up short each time and not really sure whats going wrong. There seems to be a strange phasey filtering issue that's present and consistent in all these mixes. I don't remember too many issues with this multitrack, so I don't have much advise. I would have to go back into the session and see what I did. Maybe there's still to much processing going on overall. How do you compare your mixes with the reference mix?

Dave
(16-01-2018, 12:40 PM)Dangerous Wrote: These mixes all vary quite a bit, but all seem to be suffering from the same thing. Listening to all these mixes, I'm get the feeling your having a real crack, but are coming up short each time and not really sure whats going wrong. There seems to be a strange phasey filtering issue that's present and consistent in all these mixes. I don't remember too many issues with this multitrack, so I don't have much advise. I would have to go back into the session and see what I did. Maybe there's still to much processing going on overall. How do you compare your mixes with the reference mix?

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for commenting I think its still over processed, like some junk food Big Grin, I'll revisit it soon. Also the vocals have some harsh sibilance that is exaggerated by the processing(I'll probably manually de-ess them, and the drums and the guitars poke out way to much, it's actually kinda fatiguing to listen to. I also think it doesn't have enough space, or atmosphere. I'll figure it out once I get some other projects done.

Cheer!
(16-01-2018, 08:54 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote:
(16-01-2018, 12:40 PM)Dangerous Wrote: These mixes all vary quite a bit, but all seem to be suffering from the same thing. Listening to all these mixes, I'm get the feeling your having a real crack, but are coming up short each time and not really sure whats going wrong. There seems to be a strange phasey filtering issue that's present and consistent in all these mixes. I don't remember too many issues with this multitrack, so I don't have much advise. I would have to go back into the session and see what I did. Maybe there's still to much processing going on overall. How do you compare your mixes with the reference mix?

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for commenting I think its still over processed, like some junk food Big Grin, I'll revisit it soon. Also the vocals have some harsh sibilance that is exaggerated by the processing(I'll probably manually de-ess them, and the drums and the guitars poke out way to much, it's actually kinda fatiguing to listen to. I also think it doesn't have enough space, or atmosphere. I'll figure it out once I get some other projects done.

Cheer!

Ouch... those first few mixes are hard to listen to, they aren't easy on the ears at all, lol. But as promised a new version has arrived.

I think its softer on the ears, less phasey, more focused on the vocals. I utilized some deessing, panned delays, and other basic steps/techniques to get it to be less abrasive, and more coherent.

So here goes nothing. Big Grin

Its labeled: Rubblebucket Carousel Ride MikeGoPro Latest Updated Mix in the 1st post. Edit: not the 1st post the 3rd post. My mistake.

Later!

The "Latest Updated Mix" is much better MGP! A great improvement.
Are you gating these tracks? It still sounds a bit strange with the ambience sounding a little chopped up. To my ears anyway. Well Done
(20-01-2018, 11:03 AM)Dangerous Wrote: The "Latest Updated Mix" is much better MGP! A great improvement.
Are you gating these tracks? It still sounds a bit strange with the ambience sounding a little chopped up. To my ears anyway. Well Done

I'm almost certain that its gated on at least a few of the stems. I'm sure I went a little heavy handed with the attack and/or the release on the gates for sure. I'll check later on and try and address it real soon.

Later!

Hey Mike

Big time improvement over the first ones..I like the vibe, the beginning reminds me of a New Orleans brass band vibe...really cool!

Good Job,

Thanks for the catch on mine! I replaced it with the proper version. have a listen again,

Thanks

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.