Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright
Hi All,
This is my second mix, still mixed with headphones. Please send the constructive criticism my way, I'm learning a lot here!

.mp3    Im Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 2.75 MB)

Hi,well the bongos are way too loud the vox are very dry sounding also.
The piano also sounds very puney and the mix could be a better balance if im honest.
Maybe try more double panning to even the mix out a bit better.
Also try to listen more to everything's volumes like against the vox as i also notice
the second acoustic is very loud,its often things we don't notice until someone points them out
That is all normal for a new mixer
I actually like the vocals. If you bring the percussion down like Takka said and bring the acoustics and piano up a bit it will sound pretty good in my opinion. Also, I would suggest bringing the lead guitar down a bit, too.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
sounds to me like you might have too much bass response in your room so your mixing everything a bit bright, you might want to look into room treatment ...just a thought
For mixing with headphones here is a plugin to simulate speakers and room.
Isone Pro - Binaural simulator
http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/
And from left menu choose JB plugins

Doesn't replace good room with good speakers but can be helpful if those are unavailable.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Gilligan,
I fear that the brightness is not just a headphone mixing issue. I was getting such a Latin vibe from this that I minimized the rock and roll and pulled up the Latin. I felt that the solo accoustic, and percussion, and the vocals took precident. Maybe just a wrong musical decision.
This is like a completely different song. Its almost like an acoustic version. I agree with everyone else the bongos do need to come down some even for that acoustic feel. I think you did a good job on the vocals. Good mix very creative!
(28-07-2013, 01:14 AM)takka360 Wrote: Hi,well the bongos are way too loud the vox are very dry sounding also.
The piano also sounds very puney and the mix could be a better balance if im honest.
Maybe try more double panning to even the mix out a bit better.
Also try to listen more to everything's volumes like against the vox as i also notice
the second acoustic is very loud,its often things we don't notice until someone points them out
That is all normal for a new mixer

Thanks Takka.
(28-07-2013, 01:47 AM)bmullen Wrote: I actually like the vocals. If you bring the percussion down like Takka said and bring the acoustics and piano up a bit it will sound pretty good in my opinion. Also, I would suggest bringing the lead guitar down a bit, too.

Thanks, I'm trying out some of these things.
(28-07-2013, 12:36 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: For mixing with headphones here is a plugin to simulate speakers and room.
Isone Pro - Binaural simulator
http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/
And from left menu choose JB plugins

Doesn't replace good room with good speakers but can be helpful if those are unavailable.

Moonwrist,
I did download the plugin, thanks for the tip! I am a bit lost on how to use it though. is this a plugin with regard to Pro Tools? because I don't find it in my plugin menu. I downloaded the entire set, unzipped them to my plugins folder, but I'm not sure where to find them to use them. Sorry I'm so ignorant, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.