Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost Note: 'Ja Make Ya Dance'
I tried to preserve it naturalness. Listen and discuss.

.mp3    GHostNote (Greg).mp3 --  (Download: 10.96 MB)

I appreciate your 'natural' take on this, but there is very little that is natural about this arrangement. It is a dance tune with all kinds of movement and rhythms throughout. Get wild with that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This is a highly transient rich arrangement (is that an understatement?) and can quickly get out of shape by creating a chaotic and unfocused panorama if we are not mindful of the listener's needs and lose sight of what is driving the melody, and what main elements are driving the rhythm.

For me, the bass was muddy and lacked clarity over my playback gear. The flute during the intro was over compressed and created some harshness while adding to the congestion of the ambiance from the reduced dynamic range. I'd turn it up instead as it avoids both perils.

The flute gets masked on occasion.

The sax could also be turned up, making him step forwards. It's the main instrument when it's playing and needs to be in the spotlight. You were right to place it central IMO, it avoids upsetting the frequency balance in stereo.

I also liked the subtle delays on the keys panned opposite. Did the keys sound a little too processed and dynamically compressed?

The depth was interesting, though sometimes it felt ambiguous in it's application. What is forward, and what is set back and why? I wasn't clear about your rationale while listening critically. My concerns are with the transient elements and their compartmental separation.
Loved the break at 3 mins in though coming out, the sax jumps out too much on it's first note.

Super control of dynamics here for the mix overall, tending to encourage the listener to turn it up rather than turn it down because of fatigue. Louder increases excitement in this mix for all the right reasons.

Loved the break at 3 mins in, though coming out the sax hits a little too much on it's first note.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Give feedback. Don't only take, but share too.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Happy mixing.