Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold On You'
A shame about the snare in this recording

.mp3    Hold on you .mp3 --  (Download: 7.87 MB)

Hi Takka,

Good mix as the drums sound tight and the voice grooves well with it. Also, the acoustic guitar really accompanies well the voice. Indeed, it is a shame for the snare, and we still can hear some resonances. The reverb in the guitar is subtle and gives a good coherency. Overall, the mix is very coherent. Have you used reverb(s) for all tracks? What kind? Also, have you used delays?

One thing that annoyed me a little bit is the volume of the voice, that seems a tiny bit too loud, but that might be an EQ thing. And I believe that all the 'sssss' deserve a good -10dB of volume!

Good job on this mix, it is definitely a challenging one.

Cheers,

Max
Nice mix overall. But, needs a bit more low end (for my taste). That snare is a weird recorded one, in almost all mixes of this song I heard, there was a problem with snare. Guitars are nice and wide. Vocal shines.
Hi Obélix,

What do you think of the snare in my mix ?
Thanks.

Max
(25-12-2017, 09:59 AM)maxsnet Wrote: Hi Takka,

Good mix as the drums sound tight and the voice grooves well with it. Also, the acoustic guitar really accompanies well the voice. Indeed, it is a shame for the snare, and we still can hear some resonances. The reverb in the guitar is subtle and gives a good coherency. Overall, the mix is very coherent. Have you used reverb(s) for all tracks? What kind? Also, have you used delays?

One thing that annoyed me a little bit is the volume of the voice, that seems a tiny bit too loud, but that might be an EQ thing. And I believe that all the 'sssss' deserve a good -10dB of volume!

Good job on this mix, it is definitely a challenging one.

Cheers,

Max

Cheers,no I don't think I used any delays .I use any reverb that comes to hand really, one of my go to verbs is the relab 480 and Altiverb. Yes I agree on the ds could have done with a bit more

(25-12-2017, 10:43 AM)Obelix Wrote: Nice mix overall. But, needs a bit more low end (for my taste). That snare is a weird recorded one, in almost all mixes of this song I heard, there was a problem with snare. Guitars are nice and wide. Vocal shines.
Cheers. Yes its the way they recorded the snare and its a shame because everything else was so well tracked .Enough low end for me I think .Ta for the listen .
Hi Allan.
Cool mix, well balanced, eq wise and levels, very easy to listen to and not squashed.
Sounds much fuller than mine, Im tempted to say I like yours more.
Good job !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
cheers mate I think I might do it again and fix the snare
New mix

.mp3    Hold on you .mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)