Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
OPEN UP THIS PIT!
This track kicks a$$, plain and simple it's like a mix of Lamb of God, Meshuggah, and the soundrack of Doom 2016, if only it had some disgusting growls over it (I could totally see Randy Blyth or Jens Kidman laying down some vocals on this!) Smile.

Anyhow, here's where I got after some minor "Djent editing" on the guitars, added some samples and reverb to the drums, and some processing and "mastering". I did make some arrangement changes and added some sound clips for fun and used The Price is Wrong by Periphery to make some tone adjustments to the guitars Big Grin.

Edit: I noticed the sub drops I added weren't loud enough so I adjusted them this morning

Update: For the new mix I mixed on my Monitors rather than my headphones so I could hear the subs a bit easier, and used the Catharsis Fredman IRs instead of the stock Bias cabs. The snare also has more of a pop to it and the guitars and bass are tightened up as compared to the first mix.

.mp3    Let\'s Djance Mix 1 Tone Adjust.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)

.mp3    Let\'s Djance Mix 1 Sub Adjust.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)

.mp3    Let\'s Dance Mix 2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Holy shit, really loving this. Love seeing what you came up with, now I feel like my mix is ass and wish I thought of that. cx (well at least mainly to that "intro", lol). with yours I do get a DOOM feel.
(03-12-2017, 03:38 PM)OmegaTheRed Wrote: Holy shit, really loving this. Love seeing what you came up with, now I feel like my mix is ass and wish I thought of that. cx (well at least mainly to that "intro", lol). with yours I do get a DOOM feel.

Thanks man hahaha, I totally stole the intro edit from Kapu tho Angel! Anyhow glad you liked it and from what I heard of your mix I think you have a good base to work with, while the stock arrangement is good it can also get repetitive and does lack some momentum in certain sections. I found that the mute button and some minor editing was a great way to change things up (dropping the bass for a few bars in the first half after the intro, bringing the guitars and drums down in that section, tightening up those Djenty sections towards the end) and give the song a more dynamic feel even if the track is slammed after mastering.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(04-12-2017, 02:55 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Thanks man hahaha, I totally stole the intro edit from Kapu [...]

Ha! And I of course stole it from Mick Gordons BFG Divison. Listening sub adjusted version, and have to say at least on my system the sub bomb shakes the house foundations, so you might want to back it of a bit. Mix in general sounds good, although the snare seems a bit 'nice' when it could be 'mean', but that's more dependent on taste and/or me just splitting hairs. Great work!
(04-12-2017, 01:39 PM)kapu Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 02:55 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Thanks man hahaha, I totally stole the intro edit from Kapu [...]

Ha! And I of course stole it from Mick Gordons BFG Divison. Listening sub adjusted version, and have to say at least on my system the sub bomb shakes the house foundations, so you might want to back it of a bit. Mix in general sounds good, although the snare seems a bit 'nice' when it could be 'mean', but that's more dependent on taste and/or me just splitting hairs. Great work!

Thanks, I didn't want to make my snare so aggressive so that you could play it loud and not have it be too harsh sounding, plus referencing the Periphery track and Ashes of the Wake by Lamb of God revealed that in a commercial mix the snare isn't as aggressive as you think it is. Even in BFG Division the snare is actually pushed back in the mix, it's more sustain than power and the aggression comes from the kick,bass, and guitars.

On my car system (It's a factory Pioneer system with an 8" Dual Voice Coil sub in my 2011 Chevy Equinox Big Grin) the drop seemed fine but it was a tad loud and had some distortion from hitting the clipper and limiter. I made a new mix and ended up using 3 different 808s for the drops, 1 Long 808 for the intro, a short layered 808 and a mid length 808 for the transition.

Cheers,
Doug