Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Ghost Note Monked
Thanks for taking a listen. Feedback would be reciprocated.

-----------------
The final vision (s15) is posted below here:
http://www.discussion.cambridge-mt.com/s...9#pid65329

.m4a    GhostNote-MonkMix (session 05-01).m4a --  (Download: 14.66 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
OK. Interesting. I think the ascent from the crystal cavern could be have been better stated. I like the editing choices. Nice keyboard substitution and move out of it. Cool transition to the conga break but not out of it. Some very cool ideas and pretty good execution throughout. Very enjoyable listen.

I did some of these moves myself, but not as creative as yours.

Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(23-11-2017, 07:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: OK. Interesting. I think the ascent from the crystal cavern could be have been better stated.

It would have been helpful if you'd elaborated on "better stated" so I can have an idea of your ideas. There might be something to build on, for example, things to try.

I took a quick listen to yours, will give feedback shortly. I see you panned the flute alternately. Would this be your idea of better, perhaps? I don't get on well with alternate panning, I end up feeling nauseous from the motion. I'm one of the unlucky ones, unfortunately.

My vision was to actually retain, or rather enhance, the introduction. I loved their concept, it's rich ambiance and floaty surrealism which yours kind of broke from my perspective. The risks of panning tends to evoke in my soul, the unnatural, and unnatural makes for nervous tension which panning a key instrument can do. This might have been your idea though. Mine was to follow the concept while making it stereo at the same time. If something is already working for me, I won't deviate.

Quote:I like the editing choices. Nice keyboard substitution and move out of it.

I was still mixing it when I posted the first version. Hoping I've enhanced the experience rather than detracting!

Quote:Cool transition to the conga break but not out of it.

The transition out is fantastic. I love the abruptness and the drive in energy it brings from the dynamic. Taste vs taste.

In the advanced mix, I've actually muted the congas till half way and just had the pad solo with some gentle, very subtle phase modulation for enhancement. Creates a sense of serenity and tranquillity, a move that harps back to the introduction in a way and an opportunity to relax the listener. The congas were just a little too drawn out otherwise.

Quote:Some very cool ideas and pretty good execution throughout. Very enjoyable listen.

Shot man, thanks.

Quote:I did some of these moves myself, but not as creative as yours. Well done.

All this creative stuff adds about 3,000 percent to the time overhead. But 10,000 percent to the fun!

Thank your. I'll be over soon.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
This is the finished vision after having some time I didn't think I'd find.

The drums are panned R, percussion L but with a modified Haas. So many here panned the percussion in stereo, and wide, and it just sounds chaotic, stressful even with a drum kit somewhere behind, similarly panned wide. My opinion is that they need separation.

I had to mod the transients as Haas on it's own didn't quite do what I needed and was a bit too punchy on the ears. The net result is that both kits have taken a step back, but that was the compromise. It still works to my satisfaction.

I muted the sax in the second half for much of the run because I liked what the keys were doing to the vibe far more than I did the screaming, highly distorted, clipped-in-places sax. But the sax comes in later, and it's as smooth as I could make it.

Other tweaks and moves, some significant, other's subtle, and a lot of patience and determination.

.m4a    GhostNote-MonkMix (s15).m4a --  (Download: 14.67 MB)

You've done some amazing things with this song. Most were done very well and all interesting. Especially liked the whip coming out of the second keyboard break. Whewwwww.....

Fun. A good listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(28-11-2017, 04:29 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: You've done some amazing things with this song. Most were done very well and all interesting. Especially liked the whip coming out of the second keyboard break. Whewwwww.....

Fun. A good listen.

THe whip was courtesy of a Moog and 15 minutes of my life to get it to work properly! Glad someone liked it Big Grin

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts
Suffered a major dose of mix envy after listening to this.

The dubbed-out section is the only place I wasn't sure about. The uncertainty was a conflict in my head about the two concepts interacting. Maybe if it wasn't quite so obvious and pronounced it might have helped me to over look it. The boldness of approach though, suggests that's not what you wanted us to do.

And I also liked the whip from your Moog! In a way, it helped me come to terms with the dub before it by generating a light hearted element. The sour note played by the flute in the original, also points that way. A twist of humour, sort of thing.

Muting the sax in the final section and giving the lead role to the keys worked well.

I was going to mix this, but after listening I don't know if I could do it without being influenced.

Happy mixing
Thanks for the visit, AE. You haven't posted a mix yet, but when you do, send me a PM in case I haven't spotted it and you will no doubt make me feel envious too. I understand the mixed feelings about the dub element. At the time I went with the inner voice and didn't spend time contemplating it. It would be interesting how others view it.

Have a go at it.