Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Butterfly Effect: 'An Ultra Violet Apology'
Hey guys,
Dropping my mix. Any advice very welcome.

.mp3    ultraviolet_f5.mp3 --  (Download: 12.7 MB)

All in all its a cool Mix i like the sound of it.

1.Yet the kick has a weird punchy or clicky sound to it. Sorry for being in lack of better words. You should check out your compressor attack and release times again. Its punchy and audible but it has a bit of an unnatural sound to it.

2. I would turn these "ambient-swelly-guitar-effect" parts louder especially in the beginning. They sound cool and can give you a great atmosphere, in your mix they get lost. But im a "ambient-swelly-guitar-effect" fetishist, so...

3. What have you done to the vocals? They sound pretty cool. Wanna tell me what exactly youve done there?
The only problem i have with them is that, especially in the quieter parts of the song, you can hear a difference between singing an silence. When he stops singing you can "hear the silence", its like theres something missing. The transitions arent smooth enough.
I just checked it out and i know the problem. Youve cut out the "room noise" in between the singers lines. And you can definitely hear that. Bring the noise back in(if youve literally cut it out), or soften your gate and try messing around with automation to make the transitions smoother instead.
Yeah room noise sucks, but in that case its abscence sounds weird. Makes it seem as though the lyrics are just layered on to of the instruments.

Hope i could help, and sorry for my bad english
Hello,
Thanks for the comment, very much appreciated.
I also thought that GTR should have a bit more gain.
Vocal needs automation, The proccessing is: iwish64 - infected muchroom, fabfilter saturn, vocal rider, tube-tech cl1 compression, izotop ozone 7 vintage tape, Softube Reverb, and clariphonic for some top end.
You are right about everything, i will try to follow your suggestions and try to apply them. It might take a while, the session is overloaded, will have bounce things Smile.
Thanks again for the listening.
No problemo mate.
Just about everything in this mix is organic and smooth, minus the the abrupt gate on the vocals. Did you ever clean this up to allow for the ambiance in vox?

Love this mix.

Edit* The vocal mix and placement for the 'bridge' (considering the movement is really only two chords) is awesome.
Thanks Humeurs for your comment!
Its been a while i was mixing it, and as far i remember i really overloaded cpu by this session. Perhaps i will do another attempt to this song just to see a difference in "progress".
I shouldn't edit vocals as this room ambience is very noticable. I'd also add more reverb on a snare and try to manage drums better. All in all i'm glad you like it!
Cheers!