Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Hey Delilah - Radio Mix Update
Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah
3/9/2017

Well this was a fun one. I started out listening to the reference mixes which were included in the package. That was some funky stuff, especially the cardioid. What it did give me was a sense of the character of the sound in the room and what the engineer was going after. What seemed apparent was a big bottom in a small room. Kind of like a fat guy in a little coat!

Using compression on many individual instruments I think I was able to extract some good sounds without wrenching too much into it. There were no wild EQ settings and there was but one effect bus used which was fed by a good portion of the tracks.

A generous helping of chorusing on a few tracks also helped glue things together. I wonder if anyone can identify which tracks had chorus on them.

This song was a challenge and a fun test. This is my first mix of what may be several to come.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated. Enjoy.

Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah - B
3/11/2017

After a few listens the first mix sounded a bit empty in spots so I tried to fill them as appropriate for a live recording. I think I made progress. A big issue for me, and I suspect everyone, was dealing with the guitar solo at the end of the song. A lot a noise and not much content and difficult to bring out constructively without ruining the rest of the mix. I think I captured what was possible.
I also tried to make this listenable at all levels from low to blaring. Try listening at different playback levels and see what you think.

Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah Radio Version!
3/12/2017

I couldn't help it. I was listening to Frampton Comes Alive and Freebird and Stairway to Heaven and had to do the dreaded radio cut to this song. Only because I could, mind you. I wanted to see how it turned out and it is a bit too abrupt, but does capture the frustration of hearing those great songs back in the '80s butchered for radio.

Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah Radio Version - B
3/12/2017

Thought my guitars needed a big of added presence and this is the result.

.mp3    Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah.mp3 --  (Download: 13.47 MB)

.mp3    Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah - B.mp3 --  (Download: 13.47 MB)

.mp3    Big Head Todd - Hey Delilah Radio Version.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

.mp3    Hey Delilah - Radio Mix - B.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Very easy to notice that you are a professional Wink

Suggestions:
- When there is a lot (after the solo) going the vocals are a bit to quiet for me
- Maybe the organ fills are a bit loud (2:40)

So those are only "maybes" but those are really the only things I would personally change Big Grin

Lukas Angel
Thanks for your comments. My approach to this song was to try and keep the feel as 'live' as possible.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]