Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hungarian Dance No. 5 - my first mix post
Hello forum!

This is my first mix post. Thought I'd try something simple (but nothing ever is! lol) to start with. Enjoyed the mix process and hope you like the result.

Welcoming any feedback or criticism.

NOTES
I used all of the audio files. Multed out a few notes on GTR and SAX to add a little sustain of some percussive GTR parts and SAX notes. Tried to automate the balances a little so that the GTR and SAX were upfront where I thought they needed it. Ended the mix with a longer, medium compressed, and manual gated reverb tail for the very last hit.

.mp3    Hungarian Dance No 5 Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

"Remember good times we had. A memory so clear. A road to lasting harmony. A path that we would share."
It sounds like you have put some thought into this mix, which is good.
Overall I like your mix and performance space, It works well. It maybe just a bit bright and possibly thin for my ears. I would love to hear some extra body in the guitar and a little less presence on the reverb tails, If that makes sense.
Overall though, Nice.Smile
Dave,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I tried to add a bit more body to the GTR and pull back on the verb -- I'm finding I tend to overdo the reverb in my room so need to keep an eye on that (well an ear I guess Tongue).

I also tried to make it less bright, but comparing it to a few of the other mixes here it is still lacking a little richness, especially the SAX, so need to maybe revisit that when my ears have had a rest.

Thanks again for the feedback -- great to hear what you thought.

.mp3    Hungarian Dance No 5 Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)

"Remember good times we had. A memory so clear. A road to lasting harmony. A path that we would share."
I remixed this again as was not happy with the lack of richness of the Sax sound in my first two mixes.

Kept the original concept of multing out a few GTR parts and SAX notes to add a bit of subtle sustain and percussion in certain points, but started from scratch with EQ, Comp, and Verbs (Hall on GTR, Plates on SAX and room).

Happy now (or 'for now' I think Tongue).

.mp3    Hungarian Dance No 5 (Finally I\'m Happy Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.42 MB)